Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

Windows VSS performance between versions

Post by tom11011 »

Just wondering, are there any differences in Microsoft VSS performance between different versions of Windows or MSSQL?

For example, I am wondering if performance can be increased by simply upgrading to a newer version of a Microsoft product. Right now the Veeam application aware step is creating about a 5 second IO freeze on MSSQL databases as the server gets bigger and bigger and I am looking for ways to reduce this while continuing to use application aware technology. Disks are SSD.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Windows VSS performance between versions

Post by PetrM »

Hi Tom,

I believe the question is worth asking on similar Microsoft Community Forums as any backup application just plays the role of VSS requestor and cannot affect performance of VSS framework.

Thanks!
tom11011
Expert

Post by tom11011 »

Oh I agree with you, but I'm looking for a potential answer though from Veeam users experience.
tom11011
Expert

Post by tom11011 » 1 person likes this post

I don't know if there is a way to request features or not, but you know what would be nice is for Veeam to have the ability to backup individual databases without backing up the entire server.

The reason for this would be VSS. With Veeam during a regular backup, during the application aware stage, it has to freeze IO for all databases which takes time because its single threaded and has to go through each database one by one to make it ready for backup, but if it could somehow just freeze the IO for a single database at a time, back it up, then go on to the next similar to how MSSQL handles database dumps, that would eliminate the issue of lengthy freezes. At least I think.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Your feedback is appreciated! Let's consider your post as +1 vote to have it in one of our future releases. Usually, we add features to our roadmap based on number of similar requests.

Thanks!