Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
daystrom
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Restoring individual files from hyper-v

Post by daystrom »

I use veeam agent for windows to backup my workstation and to backup a window server that run two vms in hyperv. Occasionally I need to restore an individual file from the nightly backup and that works well. But there is no way to restore a file from one of the server's vm if that is needed, and at least according to my idea agent cannot be run on a vm. Does veeam backup and replication offer that capability?

I think someone told me here that veeam backup and replication might be capable of fulfulling all of my backup needs and that agent may be redundant. I can't find that post. The way I've used the two programs on the server is to have vbr backup the vms, and agent backup the host machine. Do I need both programs?

I'm thinking this is not a technical issue so I have not created a ticket with support.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Restoring individual files from hyper-v

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Greetings.

Veeam Agent for sure can backup VM from within Guest OS, like any other physical machine. However, it is much more efficient to backup VMs at image-level, without an agent inside.
To do so, install Veeam Backup and Replication Community edition and add your Hyper-V Server to it. You can then create VM-level backup jobs and have all power of in-guest file system restore.

/Cheers!
daystrom
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Re: Restoring individual files from hyper-v

Post by daystrom »

Thanks Egor...if I can restore individual files with veeam backup and replication, which I think you're saying is possible, I will explore that.