Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gollem
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Erik E.

Is there a way to ignore restore errors?

Post by gollem »

Due to a storage crash we lost our replica data for one of the remote sites. I've got a 15.6TB of vm's which needs to be replicated into our failover site, there is a 10mbit link between the sites, so that will take a long long while.

Typically we sent a usb disk with the vbk import that backup, then setup replication with seeding. However due to covid this won't be possible as one.
All of our sites have fast internet connection for webtraffic only, we cannot communicate over that link between sites, its purely used for webtraffic only to the outside world. Site2Site links are slower at 10 or 20mbits each site.

So what I done was create a backup at the remote site NAS, used 7zip to create a zipfile with 1gb chunks, sent those zips over to cloud storage (webtraffic only, 1gbit upload directly to the internet), then downloaded the zips again at our failover site (that also has a gbit internet webtraffic connection), extracted.... got a crc warning when unzipping. the source zipfile has issues so I have to go over the whole process again.

I hoped I could restore the broken vbk, ignore the broken section and restore whatever was possible, then using seeding replicate the missing blocks. But veeam does not allow me to do so and throws back a zlib decompression error (which makes total sense that it stops).

Is there a switch which I can set so it ignores whatever is broken, possibly flags a warning but still continues with restoring the broken vbk?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Is there a way to ignore restore errors?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Erik,

Have you tried to start File Level Recovery from this backup and copy the needed data via Windows Explorer? Thanks!
gollem
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Erik E.

Post by gollem »

Thank you for your feedback Dmitry!

Sadly that open was unavailable and results in an error.

when using the guiextractor or extractor.exe I get simular results then using the veeam console, for this vbk the C drive extracts fine (about 35gb) the data drive gets to about 40gb and then reports zlib extracting erros
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Reach our support team, chances are, they have last resort tools that might help in your case. Thanks!