Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
axiomcrs
Service Provider
Liked: never

"Test Now" failing in New Protection Group

Post by axiomcrs »

Would like to backup physical Win10 machines in a Workgroup. I've added several different machines one at a time and they each fail when Testing the credentials. Tried different accounts for each machine, as well as, the default Administrator account for a Win10 machine. They are all on the same subnet. I can ping each of these machines from the B&R machine. I would like this to work since this is how I will be adding the agents to each of the machines. The failure the Guest Credential Test is reporting is: https://i.gyazo.com/a229bd5195a780bdd4f ... 197666.png. And I am using this notation for each of the creds: machinename\username. I can login fine with each of these pwds for those machines. I have turned off the AV for these machines. I am using Veeam B&R 10a.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: "Test Now" failing in New Protection Group

Post by Dima P. »

Hello axiomcrs,

Can you please check if you can connect to the machine's admin share via regular windows explorer? Thank you!
axiomcrs
Service Provider

Post by axiomcrs »

I tried another machine, this time one I can see in Windows Explorer from the B&R machine and it worked. Thanks. I had to enable the administrator account since the main user has an account name with a space in the middle of it. Apparently, the accounts it can use cannot contain a space (also, one of the accounts I was using yesterday has a space in it and I did not notice it). For some reason, some of the machines in the same subnet do not appear in the Network page of Windows Explorer.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I'd remember that for workgroup environment you need to enable remote UAC on Windows 10 machines as it's now disabled for by default. Cheers!
axiomcrs
Service Provider

Post by axiomcrs »

Finally got all desired machines to have a result of success when clicking "Test Now". However, when I completed the New Protection Group wizard, all but one machine failed when being scanned. I have rescanned 2 of the machines separately and they both fail. What is this rescanning doing (seeing if it can find the machine and is it online?)? Here is a screenshot:
https://i.gyazo.com/4c5cddbbc50dc6259b5 ... e5ffae.png

When the New Protection Group wizard was completed, the one machine that did not fail, successfully installed the Windows agent. Does it matter if there already is a Veeam Windows agent installed on some of the machines?

Why would all these machines be failing a rescanning?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello axiomcrs,

Thanks for sharing the update!
Does it matter if there already is a Veeam Windows agent installed on some of the machines?
No, if required Veeam B&R can reinstall agent completely (unless such agent is deployed via another Veeam B&R server).
Why would all these machines be failing a rescanning?
Need to ask you to raise a support case for that, as detailed explanation could be provided only based on the debug logs. Please do not forget to share the case ID with us. Cheers!
axiomcrs
Service Provider

Post by axiomcrs »

It seems that the AV is to blame for the failed rescanning. However, even tho the rescan fails on the machines, the Veeam Installer Service was installed.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

axiomcrs,

Installer Service is installed as a separate package, so I'd say it's possible that AV software blocks the installation of the agent but allows the service to be installed successfully. Glad to hear that you found the solution, cheers!