Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
philfreund
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Phil Freund

VA for AIX compression

Post by philfreund »

When compression in enabled for the AIX agent, does it just blindly compress everything or is is smart enough to not compress already compressed file types such as .zip and .gz? I've generally found that compressing already compressed files make the resulting files larger.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: VA for AIX compression

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I've generally found that compressing already compressed files make the resulting files larger.
do you maybe have an example for that? Or do you see that your Veeam backups are larger than your source?

I just tested it with a pptx file which is a zip file in the end. The pictures below do not confirm your thesis

to answer your question: the Veeam Agent (no matter which one) compresses everything.

Best regards,
Hannes
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

All Veeam Agents compress backup file blocks, not the files that you back up.

Thanks!
philfreund
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Phil Freund

Post by philfreund »

Thanks for clarifying that. I tried running the same full backup job both with and without compression turned on against a large filesystem containing compressed files. The runtime was marginally faster without compression and size of the resulting backups were almost exactly the same.