Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Chrizz
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chrizz Mwx

How to restore VM vhdx from tape?

Post by Chrizz »

Hello,
I am able to restore VMs from the backup repo (residing on a QNAP SMB-share) - thats fine.
But now the day has come when I have to restore that given VM from an elder restorepoint which resides on tape library.

I tried the following:

Restore VM directly from tape - I could select the wanted restorepoint residing on tape and started the restore job but it ended in:
"This information not in cache file (xxx) that was requiered (yyyy) Offset (xxx) Agent failed to process method (DiskApi.GetScheme). Agent failed to process method (VHDX.getDisk.Scheme)"

So maybe this was not the right way and I tried the next:

Restore the Full-Backup File from tape first.
The 4TB took a time but finally.
I am not sure if I do the right thing when I rightclick that file - "expand". Veeam Console is opening but tells me:
"Dir failed. storageFileName B:\xxx.vbk 'Exception Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentClosedException was thrown.

So mayby I am on the wrong way - what is best practice to restore a VMs vhdx file from tape?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: How to restore VM vhdx from tape?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Chrizz,

Both ways above are valid and shall be fine to work with.

- Try importing backup via VBR Console - Import Backup button. Backup shall be listed under Disk(Imported) node and you will have VM Files recovery from there.
- if that doesn't work out, make sure you are running latest VBR build(to remove possibility of already fixed bugs)
- feel free to open a support ticket - engineer can guide your way to find why recovery fais

/Thanks!
Chrizz
Novice

Post by Chrizz »

@egor Thank you for your reply.

And maybe you pointed me in the right direction of the problem:

"Import backup"-button does not show the mounted QNAP-SMB-Drive. Veeam itself uses it during all of the backup operations and the server can access it via drive letter.
Could it be true that Veeam Console itself "nows" that here the backup repo is hosted an thats why it hides this drive?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Yes, it is better to use full path instead of mounted drive letter on Windows - if repository is a network share, add it as a Network Storage type, rather than Windows type.
Point Veeam to \\nas\share\filename instead and see if that works!
Chrizz
Novice

Post by Chrizz »

I tried to point the import to the UNC path, selected the restored vbk-file.
It starts to import but failes after "creating database records" with:

"the object reference was not set to an object instance" (translated from my german edition)
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Try adding said UNC path containing that backup file as NAS Repository type to Veeam.
Last step of Add Repository wizard has a checkbox to search and import backups automatically.