Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Fox54
Enthusiast
Liked: never

New features ?

Post by Fox54 »

Hi,

I installed Veeam version 5.02.230 (32 bits) to backup and replcate some VM. It seems like it does not work like the older versions

For the replication, in the target directory it creates the vmdk files + a .vbk file for the replication that occured before

for the backup it now creates a .VBK file wich is about the size of the orginal VM + a .vib files. Even tough i selected to keep only 1 restore point on disk, it creates a .vib files for more than 1 restore point.

On the earlier version it would keep a .vrb files but only for the number of restore point i wanted to keeps

How does these news features works ?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: New features ?

Post by tsightler »

If you change the job mode to reverse incremental (the only mode available in previous versions), it will work exactly as it always worked.

The .vib file is an incremental backup and thus requires either a new full backup before it can start a new chain. This is all explained quite well in the first few pages of the users guide.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Tom is absolutely correct, previously we had only reversed incremental backup mode, now there are two of them.

See our sticky F.A.Q. for more details: [FAQ] v5 : Frequently Asked Questions > Answers

However replication engine hasn't been changed, so what you describe below is expected:
Fox54 wrote:For the replication, in the target directory it creates the vmdk files + a .vbk file for the replication that occured before
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

No particularly new features too, these are over 1 year old now ;)