Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
atsrl
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: AT SRL

Limit for concurrent restore tasks

Post by atsrl »

Hi!
I am looking for a way to limit the concurrent restore tasks, but not affecting the limit for backup tasks.
There is a way to configure the VBS to not permit more than "Nvalue" of vmdk to be restored at the same time regardless of settings in repos&proxys?
Maybe a registry entry?
Thank you all!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Limit for concurrent restore tasks

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

What about to use a dedicated proxy for those restore tasks which are supposed to be limited? This proxy can have its own set of settings including the necessary number of concurrent tasks.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Just curious why would you want to limit restore tasks, but not backup tasks? It seems counter-intuitive to allow someone to backup as much as they want, but limit them at restores - which is the whole reason of making those backups...
atsrl
Service Provider

Post by atsrl »

Hi Gostev, good question!
First, this is a protective/defensive need for a incident thath we have past week.
The environment uses VMware VSAN, so we cant use Veeam Backup IO Control.
The backup process dont affect production at latency level, but the restore does. Not allways, but yes with a particullary big vm: 18 vmdks and about 7TB of total data.
Because we have a very performant backup repository and VSAN its ok too, the concurrent backup process works fine. We are using daily incrementals and weekly syntethic fulls, so the most off the load are placed in the backup repositorys.
In the restore for this particullary vm all the 10 proxys takes 2 disk, so 18 restore task runs an the same time and the vsan went to high latency status, afeccting about 20% of vms in the vsan.
So, I am thinking that if I can limit the number of parallel restore tasks I will be avoigind afect the production vsan.
Please, feel free to proposme another aproaches.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

OK, this makes sense. I think this issue makes Backup I/O Control support quite critical for VSAN environments and it should be prioritized @Andreas Neufert.
atsrl
Service Provider

Post by atsrl »

Thank you Gostev! in the meantime can we look for a workaround? MaxRestoreTask as registry entry, or something like that?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Unfortunately, we don't have such registry entry in the product. However, Petr suggested a valid workaround above.
atsrl
Service Provider

Post by atsrl »

Thank you Gostev. About the Petrm workaround, don't realize how i can set a dedicated proxy for restores. Remember that our environment is an auto provisioning one so the user can´t access the proxy selection step at the restore wizzard.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Ha! I can't remember something I never knew :D it is the first time you mention this.
atsrl
Service Provider

Post by atsrl »

hahaha! you are right! sorry. In the first draft of the post i have explained all the environment, but latter and to make it easy, I have deleted this part.
And now, with all the truth revealed: any ideas to get a limited restore task? :D
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I am afraid it's not possible. I personally would just reduce the task slots globally, as if this amount of tasks affects VSAN during restores, backups may also affect it one day.
atsrl
Service Provider

Post by atsrl »

Ok, it´s a good option. I think that "max parallel restore task" could be a nice feature, at least for cloud environments. Thank you all for the comments!