Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Rasul.mammadov414
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Rasul Mammadov

LTO6 questions

Post by Rasul.mammadov414 »

hi i have a question my tape lto 6 size is shows 2.4 tb but real size 6.5 tb my question is if i choose eject option. but my backup to tape size 1 tb what will happening in my tape will have more unused sized?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: LTO6 questions

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums
is shows 2.4 tb but real size 6.5 tb
LTO-6 is 2.5TB. So showing 2.4 TB sounds good to me https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Ta ... ifications

Unfortunately I do not understand the rest of you question. Can you maybe says it in different words? Which problem are you trying to solve?

I also recommend the user guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Best regards,
Hannes
Rasul.mammadov414
Novice

Hi again no LTO 6 is 6.25 tb but i know that there is some option deduplication size and veeam see 2.4 tb

this is not problem.my question is i have created media pool and added there 10 tape

and how the process is going after my backup job doing backup to storage second job will start and backup to tape.
1 question if my backup to tape is just 1 tb what is going next. second and third backup also will go same tape because i have more free space? or it will eject tape after 1 backup even there is more free space
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi.

It is a common tape vendor's marketing trick to make tapes be seen more attractive - you will have "6.5TB capacity*" written on the cartridge, and if you follow the *, with a small font at the back of it you will see "2.5 TB native cartridge capacity and up to 6.25 TB capacity with 2.5:1 data compression". Meaning you might get close to 6.25 IF you write perfectly prepared raw data. Since backup files are composed already, there is almost to none data compression happening during write.

As for the streamlined write question, it depends on Media Pool settings(specifically Media Set option and Eject Media upon completion option).

/Thanks!
Rasul.mammadov414
Novice

i did not understand. just explain me how can i do it.. i have created media pool and added 10 tape..

backup to tape job i choosed Eject Media option and Create new media set option...But if i backup size just 200 GB my 2.5 tb tape will eject or when it will full then it will eject
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

New Media Set always starts with a free tape, so if you want to append data to previously used tape, you shall disable or alter New Media Set creation option.
For example, set it to "Create Media Set on Sunday 23:59" so that all tape backups used during a week will be appended, and on Sunday new set will kick in and start from a fresh.

/Thanks!
Rasul.mammadov414
Novice

ok might 7 backup raised to 3 tb and what will be happening second tape adding driver or it will sritte overrite to tape and old backups will delete

i will explain what i want to do
i want backup every weekend and and next incremental end of month all incremental link to one backup and this backup to tape after one month not every weekends backup
and pleaese just explain me structure what option i should choose
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Tape overwrite policy is set in the Media Pool settings as well - depending on your preferred scenario Veeam can either protect data on the tape for specified time, or just overwrite the tapes as needed.

As for your tape case - could you please elaborate a little more on said scenario as it is unclear to me:
- "backup every weekend" sounds quite easy - set job to run on day X and select a media pool for Full Backups. That will offload existing Full backup to the tape. You can also consider using Virtual Full(depending on your goal).
- "all incremental link to one backup and this backup to tape after one month" - create another backup to tape job for this one, and select both Full + incremental media pool in it's settings. Schedule should be set to Monthly.

/Cheers!
Rasul.mammadov414
Novice

retention policy what meaning i mean i am doing now test 1 is full backup and 4 is vib file when my vib will will contain to one vbk

i disabled incremental periodically and archieve full backup but my next backup file is vib and i think when my vi file will combine to one vbk