Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
philfreund
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Phil Freund

VA for AIX server name duplication

Post by philfreund »

How does VAA identify the installed servers? Does it just use the hostname or a combination of hostname plus some unique identifier? I have a number of "warm" DR servers which have the same hostname as their primary counterpart but which have different IP addresses. I want to install VAA on the DR servers so I can both back them up and mount backups from the primary server onto them. Is that going to be a problem?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: VA for AIX server name duplication

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
asking the the other way round... did you see any issue with your plan?

The name of a machine cannot be the identifier for a backup as the machine name can change easily. As the AIX agent is a port of the Linux agent, I would guess for the BIOS UUID (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=40), but I did not ask developers. I expect it "just works", as long as you don't say "it does not work"

I remember that your AIX machines are connected to a VBR server. That restore scenario is described in the user guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20

As an alternative, you can also import backups from other machines: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20

Best regards,
Hannes
philfreund
Enthusiast

Post by philfreund »

I generally don't just try something on a production environment without having a pretty good idea of what the result will be. If I think it might be a problem, I want to know before I accidentally mess something up that could have been prevented. Although similar, AIX is a different beast from Linux. There is no BIOS so something else would have to be used. So back to my original question, is this a problem?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

maybe I have an overconfident trust in our software, as I never had any situation (and I do really ugly stuff sometimes) where something got deleted without asking me first. :-)

It's calculated from some unique IDs per WPAR. You can see the calculated ID by running /opt/veeam/bin/veeamagentid

You will see two different IDs on your two machines with different hostnames
philfreund
Enthusiast

Post by philfreund »

Thanks.