Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
TinchoB
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Martin B

Veeam Agent inside a VMWARE Windows Virtual Machine - Licence Question

Post by TinchoB »

Hello,
I am new in this forum. I would like to ask you if can help me with a license question.

Scenario: a customer has a VMWARE cluster (6 ESXi servers and virtual vCenter) with Windows Server 2019 Virtual Machines (50 VMs). He plans to deploy a VEEAM B&R physical Server (all in one), using the VUL license annual subscription model (60 instances) to backup the virtual machines.

Question: If for "X" reason he needs to deploy the VEEAM Agent inside a VMs (because he told me he needs to complement the image level VM backup with another one of a specific guest windows folder), from the license point of view, will it consume 1 VUL instance or 2 ones ? one for the VM level backup and another one for the Windows Agent ? or as the source "workload" is the same VM it will only consume 1 VUL instance ?

Thanks you in Advance for helping me !!
Regards,

Martin
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Veeam Agent inside a VMWARE Windows Virtual Machine - Licence Question

Post by Gostev »

Hello, Martin!

Since the source "workload" is the same VM, it will only consume 1 VUL instance.

In fact, I've seen customers protecting the same machine in as many as three different ways:
1. Host-based image-level VM backup with Veeam Backup & Replication (daily or weekly).
2. Agent-based file-level backup of some important files/folders with Veeam Agent (hourly).
3. Application-based backup with Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN (transaction log backup every few minutes).

But even here, still only 1 VUL instance will be consumed, so long as all jobs are managed by the same Veeam Backup & Replication server.

Thanks!
TinchoB
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Martin B

Re: Veeam Agent inside a VMWARE Windows Virtual Machine - Licence Question

Post by TinchoB »

Thank you very much Gostev, it was the information I was looking for !
Regards,

Martin