Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rel098
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: rel098

Utilize old SAN for backup

Post by rel098 »

Hi,
I have old IBM v3700 with many TBs that I would like to use for the Veeam installation we already have in place. The IBM san is connected through SAS to a cluster with 3 hosts. The SAN is empty, but I cannot add it as Backup Repository because the SAN doesn't surpport SMB or NFS protocols.

I can add it as Storage Infrastructure, but apparently that doesnt help me. How would you guys go about this? Add a new VMDK disk to the Veeam VM and place it on the v3700 SAN? I'm afraid this makes it prone to ransomware.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Utilize old SAN for backup

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Can you please clarify a bit if you want to use the storage system as source for backup or to place backups on it?

For usage as source. We do not support the v3700 with our storage snapshot integartion over SAS. Only option would be to use normal VMware backup like (HotAdd/NBD/DirectSAN).

For usage as backup target.
If you want to use it as backup target and there is no source VM data on it, then add it to the backup server as block storage.
If the backup server is a VM you can add the storage volumes as pRDM volumes.
If the backup server is physical, you need to add a SAS HBA to that server and directly connect the storage to it. Do not share the backup volumes with the VMware SAS HBAs at same time.
rel098
Novice

Post by rel098 »

Thanks Andreas for the feedback!

I would like to use the storage system to place backups on.

I have two virtual Veeam servers, one being a proxy. Today I use a NAS to backup to through NFS.

Would you be able to point me to material that guides me how to setup pRDM on Veeam VM?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Based on your answer I suggest to check with a Veeam/VMware partner that can train you in the configuration of this and how to avoid data loss with it.

In general:
Destroy the existing volumes on the v3700 if data there not needed anymore.
Create a single big volume (maybe multiple needed because of storage limitation) => Check with a IBM/VMware partners.
Present it to the Vmware environment (LUN masking on the storage).
Create a pRDM https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphe ... BB811.html
Mount the pRDMs to the Veeam VM
Format them in the OS with ReFS 64kb block size
Create a Repository or SOBR (if multiple volumes were needed).
Document the pRDM mapping in VMware so that you know the volume IDs and configuration in case of your VMware environment dies.

Backup to the Repository.

Very importnat point. If your VMware environment is completely gone. You need to setup a new VMware enviornment and mount the pRDM again. There is an option to use it as datastore with vmfs. This will overwrite the backup files then. So be sure to document this specific step that you do not accidentally delete your backups when you want to restore anything in case of a disaster.
rel098
Novice

Post by rel098 »

Would you know the pros and cons (VMware and Veeam wise) of using pRDMs instead of attaching a new VMDK and placing it on the Datastore attached to the SAN?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Post by Andreas Neufert » 2 people like this post

VMFS/VMDK. It is an additional layer of technology that could fail or be influenced. Same hosts as primary data, same storage stack, one issue would hurt production and backup data.
rel098
Novice

Post by rel098 »

I followed your guide and now have Refs 64kb pRDM mapped in OS working as a Veeam Repository. Thanks!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Your welcome. Please don´t forget to document all the Storage Volume identifiers, LUN IDs ,... so that in case you loose your vcenter that you be able to identify the pRDM volume to mapp it to a new Veeam Repository server for restore.

This can help... https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMwar ... -p/1358076 but I think you can get this information from the UI as well.