Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mmalarino
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Maximiliano Malarino

Request: add filter for File-to-tape backup

Post by mmalarino »

As you all know there is a serious lack of filterig when doing a file to tape backup job. File servers are complex and difficult to maintain if they grow too much in size and number of files. Backup jobs with specific filtering features allows to later on perform cleanups, archiving, etc.

Please, I know this is not difficult for the developers of this wonderful software: add a filter to exclude or include files according to before or after "last access date". My previous backup software (Arcserve Backup) had this feature and it was very useful.

Please, please, please... could you please add it? or is there a way for me workaround this and apply a similar solution using veeam?

Thanks and regards
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Request: add filter for File-to-tape backup

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Maximilano!

Thanks for feedback and treat your feature request noted!
We will see if F2T Exclusions can be improved in the future versions.

As for the workaround, I can see a possible option of PowerShell script that enumerates files, filters by last access date property and feeds that to Veeam File-to-Tape Job. Haven't tried it myself but I guess it is worth a shot.

/Thanks!
SSowa
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Scott Sowa

[MERGED] File to tape... Only files created in past 24 hours

Post by SSowa »

We have a large file server where our DBAs store the BAK and TRN files. They need these files backed up separately to tape to send out for long term archiving. I would like to be able to have Veeam backup only the files modified in the past 24 hours as there is no need to continuously back up the files every day. Additionally, the files are deleted from the server after 30 days.

I know that I could do a full backup first, then incremental, but there are 2 issues I see with this approach. First, the initial full backup would be massive (80TB) and use up a lot of tapes. The second is the way we need to handle tapes. If I do incrementals only for the future backups, then the tape retention is not where we need it to be as each weekend we need the tapes marked as weekly, and not daily.

We are currently running a script that moves the files created in the past 24 hours to a directory that Veeam backs up, then move the files back. Because these locations are on the same volume, the move processes are instantaneous, but sometimes files are missed due to Windows having locks on them. I would prefer Veeam handle the file validation
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Request: add filter for File-to-tape backup

Post by Mildur »

Hi Scott

I moved your request together with this topic.
Currently we don't have implemented such filter options.
But you can check out Egor's suggestion:
PowerShell script that enumerates files, filters by last access date property and feeds that to Veeam File-to-Tape Job
1) Get a list of all Files which must be written to tape
2) Add those files to a VBRFileToTapeObject (New-VBRFileToTapeObject)
3) Update the Tape Job with this VBRFileToTapeObject (Set-VBRFileToTapeJob)
4) Run the Tape Job

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software