Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Restoring latest Agent (full restore)

Post by pkelly_sts »

Just a quick question - if you have a Veeam Agent backup (of a physical box) with, for example, 30 RP's configured, the .vbk file is a "merged full" is it not, i.e. a restore doesn't have to do IOPs on the previous points in the restore chain?

Reason I ask is I'm currently running a 1tb restore from a Synology-based repository and maxing out at 20Mb/s. I've read plenty of posts from folks with write speed issues to Synology which we actually haven't struggled with (taking into account dedupe processing etc.) but I'd hope that a restore would be a relatively straightforward read IOPs & so not be so plagued with performance issues?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Restoring latest Agent (full restore)

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
if you went with the default setting (forward incremental forever): if you restore from the latest date, then you will read data from probably 30 files.

See the https://www.veeam.com/kb1932 forward incremental forever animation.

You did not mention how many disks / which RAID-level your storage has, but it sounds normal to me for that kind of hardware

Best regards,
Hannes
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Re: Restoring latest Agent (full restore)

Post by pkelly_sts »

Ah, ok then that explains what I'm seeing performance-wise, thanks for confirming (we only have 5 drives in R5 in this env so definitely going to be struggling)