Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
leo.white
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Backblaze B2 cert errors

Post by leo.white »

I been pushing backups up to B2 for the last few weeks. Been working great. Ran into a snag it appears last night. I don't see a way to tell it to try again? I told it to re-scan the Repo and that completes successfully, but it doesn't start back up pushing backups to the cloud. Anyone seen these errors before?

Backup Error: Failed to retrieve certificate from https://s3.us-west-002.backblazeb2.com/
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backblaze B2 cert errors

Post by veremin »

Please provide a support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click New Topic. Thanks!
selva
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Selva Nair

Post by selva »

leo.white wrote: Nov 19, 2020 4:09 pm Backup Error: Failed to retrieve certificate from https://s3.us-west-002.backblazeb2.com/
I have seen this error occasionally and it has always succeeded during the next run or on manually re-running the tiering job. Another error seen with B2 is "Object storage repository cleanup Error: One or more errors occurred." which also looks like random, isolated and does not recur during the next run.
leo.white
Enthusiast

Post by leo.white »

veremin wrote: Nov 19, 2020 5:03 pm Please provide a support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click New Topic. Thanks!
Sorry, I didn't think it warranted a case. More or less just trying to see if this was a common issue and see if there was a way to tell it to try again without rebooting the entire veeam server.
leo.white
Enthusiast

Post by leo.white »

ah, it looks like editing the repo and then hitting finish caused it to start processing again. Looks like it's hopping along now.
selva
Enthusiast
Full Name: Selva Nair

Post by selva »

If you right click on the SOBR (in backup infrastructure) with ctrl-key down, it will show the "Run tiering job now" option. Or wait for the next run to happen automatically (tiering runs every 4 hours I believe). No need to edit the repo or restart the server.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Sorry, I didn't think it warranted a case.
For all technical-related issues we require a support case, because only support engineer can provide a definitive answer (and only after the debug log review). Without this step we can only speculate, which rarely helps.

Glad to hear that passing the wizard again seem to have solved the problem, at least for now. If the issue creeps up again, do not hesitate to reach our support team, and they will be able to determine from debug logs what is happening with those certificates on the B2 side.

Thanks!
nd39475
Enthusiast
Full Name: n d

Post by nd39475 » 1 person likes this post

Sorry to bump old thread, but this occurred for me as well. Google points here as a good source.

It turned out that our campus firewall blocked port 443 for the "west-004" address, because it was categorized by 3rd party sources as "phishing". Once whitelisted, it worked as expected.

reference: https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/art ... dress-List
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Thanks for sharing valuable information with the fellow community members, this again confirms our initial thoughts and assumptions that the root issue almost always lays outside of backup server scope and usually concerns with certificate validation procedure.