Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
QuantumRads
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Brandon Allison

Production Backups on Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS

Post by QuantumRads »

I cannot get Veeam to backup a virtual machine due to production backups failing. Is it possible to force Veeam to use standard checkpoints? If not, how do I get production backups to work on a Linux host? I have checkpoints set to production only.

Hypervisor: Hyper-V
Veeam Version: 10.0.0.4461 P1
Guest OS: Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS
Case: 04212788
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2887 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Production Backups on Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the user guide answers your question 1

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
Online backup of VMs on Microsoft Hyper-V 2016 relies on production checkpoints.
for question 2: I don't think, that this is a Veeam topic. Production checkpoints must work without Veeam. But please continue with support, they probably have some experience with that.

Best regards,
Hannes
JeWe
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Post by JeWe »

Hi,

also notice that Ubuntu 20.04 LTS isn't supported regarding this:
https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/window ... on-hyper-v

Regards,
Jens
JPMS
Expert
Liked: 31 times

Post by JPMS »

Did you get an answer to this?

I have the same problem (Case 04506195) with Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS.

Production checkpoints work fine within Hyper-V but fail when backing up with B&R.
JPMS
Expert
Liked: 31 times

Post by JPMS » 2 people like this post

I've solved this and am following up in case anybody else has the same issue. It's a Hyper-V issue not a Veeam issue.

Veeam support suggested I tried Production Checkpoint with the option "Create standard checkpoints if it's not possible to create a production checkpoint" not selected. The checkpoint failed. Clearly Production Checkpoints are not working. Unfortunately, even when it falls back to Standard Checkpoint, the Hyper-V Manager gives no indication this has happened, consequently I thought Production Checkpoints were working but in fact they weren't. I wasn't aware that Hyper-V Manager gives no indication it has fallen back to Standard Checkpoints, it's not very good programming in my opinion.

Ubuntu 20.04 is supposed to have Hyper-V integration built in. It sort of does; all the Hyper-V modules get installed and loaded by default. However, there are a couple of daemons that have to be installed to give full Hyper-V support, one of which is for VSS. The correct information for 20.04 is not easy to find and I did try and check all this when originally installing Ubuntu. As Production Checkpoints 'appeared' to be working, I didn't investigate any further and thought it was a Veeam problem.

I've now enabled those two daemons and can produce proper Production Checkpoints and Veeam backs up without any issues.

The command for enabling the daemons is 'sudo apt -y install linux-virtual linux-cloud-tools-virtual linux-tools-virtual'
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2887 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

thanks for sharing the solution with the community 👍