Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
theviking84
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: David Dunworthy

Object storage gateway questions.

Post by theviking84 »

Suppose my veeam server is in one datacenter and my repositories are in others.

My repositories are part of sobrs extended to object storage.

The optimal way to configure things would be to have a gateway sever at each remote datacenter be defined as the gateway sever for that sobr object storage correct? Otherwise i think my data would be pulled to the veeam server datacenter and then uploaded to the internet to object storage from there?

Where as if i define a gateway server that is located in the same datacenter as each repo then each sobr will know to upload data from those repos at those datacenters directly to object storage?
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 635 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: Object storage gateway questions.

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi David,

Gateway server is defined neither per SOBR, nor per performance extent, but per object storage as you can see here. If gateway server is disabled, requests are routed directly from Performance Tier extents.

Other way around to handle this is to make sure gateway server is disabled in object storage properties and setup a custom traffic route through proxies for each extent at remote site bypassing VBR configuration. This way VBR will still route traffic to object storage through extents, but then it will be redirected to proxies, and backup server won't know about that.

Thanks,
Oleg
theviking84
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: David Dunworthy

Post by theviking84 »

I'm not sure I'm following the second way around it.

But it sounds like disabling the gateway server setting is what I need to do. That way each performance tier extent will send the traffic directly from it to the internet correct? I am fine with each performance tier extent doing this. The issue would be if the data travels back to vbr server and then to internet as it would cost egress.

Can you confirm the vbr server would not copy all the data back to itself as it sends to object storage but rather would directly send from performance tier extent direct to internet?
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 635 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov » 1 person likes this post

Yes, I can confirm that. It is also stated in object storage wizard. With this config when tiering job runs, only management traffic touches VBR. Thanks!