Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
d3nz
Expert
Liked: 14 times

[FR] Disk Quota option for SOBR extents

Post by d3nz »

Hello.
It would be useful to have for each extent of SOBR an option for limitation disk usage space.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: [FR] Disk Quota option for SOBR extents

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Denis,

You can simply create a dedicated volume of required size and present it as an extent of scale-out repository, while the remaining space on your storage device will keep serving other needs. Cheers!
d3nz
Expert

Post by d3nz »

But if I don't want to use all free space of this extent (SMB share folder at logical volume with big size). When I add this extent to SOBR the data start free disk space balancing between extents and new backup chains creating on new extent because it have much free disk space.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Understood, thank you. I'll note your post as a feature request!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

d3nz wrote: Nov 09, 2020 10:39 pmBut if I don't want to use all free space of this extent (SMB share folder at logical volume with big size).
What about simply setting a quota on the file share itself?
d3nz
Expert

Post by d3nz »

What about simply setting a quota on the file share itself?
VBR can check it? Or I will get a lot of errors when VBR will try to exceed quota?
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

I don't see a problem with that. Your share quota should be recognised under 'Capacity' property and respected accordingly. Thanks!
d3nz
Expert

Post by d3nz »

I don't see a problem with that. Your share quota should be recognised under 'Capacity' property and respected accordingly. Thanks!
Do you mean setting quota by File Server Resource Manager?
What about NFS?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Most NAS devices should provide the ability to set quota on their file shares, whether they are SMB or NFS.

If you have a Windows or Linux servers as your backup repository, then you should not be using their capacity via a file share to start with. It's not recommended for reliability and performance reasons. Instead, you should register the actual server with Veeam, and create a Windows or Linux server based repository, using the dedicated volume of required size (as per the first reply in this topic).
d3nz
Expert

Post by d3nz »

If you have a Windows or Linux servers as your backup repository, then you should not be using their capacity via a file share to start with. It's not recommended for reliability and performance reasons. Instead, you should register the actual server with Veeam, and create a Windows or Linux server based repository, using the dedicated volume of required size (as per the first reply in this topic).
But we need availability to use one backup repository server by 2 installations of Veeam (VBR and VCC). Than we use it for VBR as Windows server based and for VCC - as SMB share with dedicated repository gateway server for data movers.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You can still do that with the approach I described, so long both Veeam installations are on the same version. You really want to stay away from using SMB shares as backup repositories in general, as they've been by far the top source of data corruptions we see in support.
d3nz
Expert

Post by d3nz »

It's difficult to keep the same Veeam Software version at two different services.
It should be much better if agents support multi-instancy to allow simultaneous using 1+ agents with different versions at the same server.
And balancing compute resources of repository between two systems also have questions.