Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
jessey316
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jessey Clarke

Azure Blob Storage for Backup Copy (non VM method)

Post by jessey316 »

Hi,

Im trying to understand how best to utilise Azure blob storage as a secondary backup copy location.

I have read through the guide which mentions setting up a VM but I would ideally like to avoid doing this if possible. So my questions are:

1. Can this be done with the VM method and what permissions would be involved?
2. I understand a container and subdirectory would be needed?
3. I also read that you can utilise policies i.e. move any backups older than X days?

thanks in advance
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 525 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Azure Blob Storage for Backup Copy (non VM method)

Post by PetrM »

Hi Jessey,

I recommend to consider Scale-Out Backup Repository with Capacity Tier enabled. You can activate "Copy" policy to copy backups to an object storage as soon as they appear on Performance extents.
Please refer to this page to get the full list of known considerations and limitations and please take a look at this page for more information regarding Microsoft Azure storage accounts.

If you need to offload backups "older than X days", then "Move" policy should be your choice.

If you decide to spin up a VM in Azure, this approach will be transparent from Veeam perspective and the only requirement is to be able to add such VM into Veeam infrastructure as a managed server and create a repository on it.

Thanks!
jessey316
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jessey Clarke

Re: Azure Blob Storage for Backup Copy (non VM method)

Post by jessey316 » 2 people like this post

Hi PetrM,

This is exactly what i was looking for. I was able to get this setup and use the Scale-Out Backup Repository with Capacity Tier enabled.

I will test this out some more and see how it works