Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
PhilippS_BIT
Service Provider
Liked: never

Backup Repository on Netapp with FabricPool

Post by PhilippS_BIT »

Hi there,

has anybody ever tried to use a SMB Fileshare with a Netapp Ontap Storage System with Fabric Pool enabled.
The idea is to backup to a ssd backed file share and then use Fabric Pool to tier cold blocks off to a Storage Grid object Store.

we are using forward incremental backups with weekly synthetic fulls. My concern is that blocks in backup chains will never become cold.

Maybe there are other issues we might experience with that implementation?
Adam.Bergh
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Adam Bergh

Re: Backup Repository on Netapp with FabricPool

Post by Adam.Bergh »

Hi, thanks for the question.

You didn't mention your data retention requirements here, so I can't 100% say there would be no issue with this configuration. What you are trying to achieve is cold data tiering off to object storage, which could be possible for data older than one week since you are using a weekly chain. Also, how often is data being restored would dictate on how hot or cold specific data is. The weekly synthetic will for sure read heavily on the previous week's chain, so I wouldn't expect that data to become cold. As a general recommendation it would be best to tier cold data older than one week as a first test. I'd be happy to work on testing this with you as we haven't heard too many requests for using All-Flash FAS as a Veeam repository.

Please email me directly if you want.
Regards,
Adam Bergh
adam.bergh@veeam .com
Senior Global Architect for NetApp Solutions.
Adam.Bergh
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Adam Bergh

Re: Backup Repository on Netapp with FabricPool

Post by Adam.Bergh »

I need to amend my response here. FabricPool tiering rarely comes up as a question for a Veeam repository (because it requires All-Flash FAS). As such, I didn't consider overall official support of the technology. Veeam has recently updated our object storage policy on this topic. Details can be found here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Veeam do not supports object storage tiering that is done outside of Veeam's Cloud Tier technology. Specifically stated: "Object storage gateway appliances that are used to store backup data in filer (CIFS/NFS) or block device mode (iSCSI/FC/SAS) are not supported if the backup data is offloaded to object storage and is no longer stored directly on the appliance."

FabricPool use in this instance would qualify ONTAP as an object storage gateway. We recommend using Veeam's Object Storage tiering to accomplish the same task.

Regards,
Adam Bergh