Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
spookydoor
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bryan Parkerson

Hyper-V errors causing backups to fail in a vSphere environment

Post by spookydoor »

Case number is 04500350

We have a new server in place at a client. We had to replace the previous server due to it failing. This server is an esxi host and we migrated over the vms from the old server to this new one. We started receiving Hyper-V related errors on two of our backup jobs not long after this server was installed. I can't figure out or understand why the are happening because we in no way, shape, or form use Hyper-V. We are 100% vmWare. I am posting some examples of said errors, below. When these errors occur, the backups are failing. Thank you so much for your help.

Please do not merge this post into another post.

"Retry of Backup job 'backup job name' finished with Failed. Job details: Job has failed unexpectedly Processing server name Error: Failed to restart Hv integration service. Failed to determine HV VSS integration process ID. Task function timeout [600000] Processing server name Error: The remote procedure call failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BE) Processing server name Error: The operation cannot be allowed at the current time because the virtual machine has a question pending: 'msg.cdromImage.disconnect:Operation on CD-ROM image file /usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/windows.iso has failed. Subsequent operations on this file are also likely to fail unless the image file connection is corrected. Try disconnecting the image file, then reconnecting it to the virtual machine's CD-ROM drive. Select Continue to continue forwarding the error to the guest operating system." <----- on this error, we ended up rebooting the server and the cd-rom portion of the error no longer applies.

"Backup job 'backup job name' finished with Failed. Job details: Processing server name Error: Failed to restart Hv integration service. Failed to determine HV VSS integration process ID. Task function timeout [600000]"

Thank you again for any help you can provide!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Hyper-V errors causing backups to fail in a vSphere environment

Post by Gostev »

I see you literally just opened the support case. Please give our support engineers some time to actually research the issue :D
spookydoor
Novice

Post by spookydoor »

Hi, Gostev

I have never actually had basic support respond to requests I put in, which is why I opened the forum post.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

Well, this is simply impossible here at Veeam. Are you perhaps confusing us with some other vendor?

If not, can you please give me an example case ID where you did not get any response from support? Because I checked a few recent support cases you opened for licensed products, and they all have support responses - and I can see your had some long exchanges with our support engineers. So it's definitely not "never" :)

The only irregularity that caught my attention is that 6 out of 18 support cases you opened were closed due to no response from you after three follow ups from their side.
spookydoor
Novice

Post by spookydoor »

I'm still getting this error. Had several backups fail yesterday due to this. I am working with the support team and we are seeking a resolution, but this just makes absolutely no sense. We do not use Hyper-V at all and I can't figure out what would be causing this. I took a look at the backup job itself and I don't see a setting anywhere that would indicate it wanting to interact with a Hyper-V environment. Because I am seeing this happen with two backup jobs and the error occurring for more than one server, I am leaning toward this being something with the backup job itself, but I am not sure.

Is there a setting in the backup job that may be contributing to this? Other forum posts I have seen (although they involved an actual Hyper-V environment) seemed to point to these errors being tied to application aware processing. Is anyone aware of a vCenter setting that might be contributing to this?