Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
tgx
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times

Using Secondary Target in a job vs separate Backup Copy Job

Post by tgx »

Using Secondary Target in a job vs separate Backup Copy Job

I am curious when each case has a benefit over the other.
Are they not in effect achieving the same result?

I am doing a backup to DAS, then to NAS, then to Cloud.
Most of my jobs have a single backup to DAS with a separate job that handles the Backup Copy to NAS to Cloud (NAS/Cloud is my Scale Out Rep).
Recently I have experimented with including as a secondary target (same scale out repo) in the main job. Both seem to do the same thing.

Any tips on which is better if any? Just looking to make sure I'm not making some critical noobie mistake that causes me heartburn later.

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Using Secondary Target in a job vs separate Backup Copy Job

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Basically, these two methods allow us to achieve the same result. The only difference is that you can use different sources of data when you add workloads in the backup copy job wizard whereas specifying secondary target makes possible to add a backup job as a source of data to already existing backup copy at the level of the primary backup job creation wizard.

Thanks!
tx.fz
Novice
Liked: never

[MERGED] Backup copy job vs secondary target?

Post by tx.fz »

Hi,

We're setting up secondary targets for a backup job. Obviously, in order to do this one must first create a backup copy job. I'm confused as to how these work together. In the backup copy job I need to define an object to copy, and in the backup job I need to define the backup copy job to run. This seems redundant to me. Why do I need to set up this two way relationship? Am I misunderstanding something?
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hello,

moved your post to the existing thread. Please take a look at Petr's answer, I believe it helps.
You can use separate backup copy jobs if that's what you need for your environment.

Thanks!
tx.fz
Novice
Liked: never

Post by tx.fz »

Hm, well, I still don't fully understand how it works. But if my backup jobs only process a single machine, it should be enough to just create the backup copy job, without also adding the copy job as a secondary target for the backup job?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Yes, it's enough, those are just two different methods to add a source into backup copy job.

Thanks!