Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
imran@korecomm.com
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Imran Tahir

Backup Proxy Question.

Post by imran@korecomm.com »

Hi,

I have the following network design: B&R Server resides on an AWS Win 2019 EC2 instance with an IP Address PUB1. I have installed a Ubuntu Linux VM in VMware with an IP Address PUB2. There is no restriction talking between PUB1 and PUB2. Now the Ubuntu Linux VM I would like to use as a Backup Proxy. The Ubuntu VM also has a private IP address of PRIVATE1. PRIVATE1 can talk to the entire VMware infrastructure (including all ESXi hosts and vCenter). The goal is to backup VM's locally at the site and to move backup copies to AWS S3 bucket. Is this doable, and if so how? I do not want to expose the ESXi hosts to the public internet with a public IP address and would rather have it all proxy through the proxy.

The reason why we I have installed the B&R Server in AWS, as in this way we can multiple sites from one central location which is specifically external to the site. Also if rather then a Linux proxy, it would be better for this setup to have a Windows proxy that is not an issue either.

Case #04515547.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backup Proxy Question.

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The backup server must be able to communicate with vSphere infrastructure so that you can add VMware servers to backup infrastructure and backup server itself can perform rescan and inventory tasks.

I guess you need to consider some site-to-site VPN tunnel between the local office and the AWS network in which the backup server will be deployed. For example, you may take a look at VeeamPN.

Thanks!
imran@korecomm.com
Novice

Thanks for the response. Is there then a way to manage multiple B&R servers? This way instead of a proxy at each local site we can simply install B&R server however have a single pane to create and monitor jobs which are spread over multiple sites.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, you can use Enterprise Manager for that.
imran@korecomm.com
Novice

Thanks for the Enterprise Manager suggestion. I added Backup & Replication servers, and it did what I wanted to a big extent. Can one use Enterprise Manager to add Veeam Backup for AWS?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

No, Enterprise Manager currently does not support it. Thanks!