Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Spapsleck
Lurker
Liked: never

WAN Accelerator to Azure VM

Post by Spapsleck »

Greetings!

we are planning to push some backups over to cloud, so i tested a bit with and without WAN acceleration compared to the costs of it.
Now i am facing a pretty bad performance with acceleration (without works as bad as expected) and i cant find the misconfiguration.

The setup is
local (B&R Server + WAN Accelerator)
8 Cores/16 Threads, 16GB RAM, SSD RAID0 as source repository, 1gbit Down 50mbit Uplink
Azure:
1 Cloud Gateway, 2 Cores 4GB RAM
1 B&R + WAN, 4 Cores, 16GB RAM, 3 Disks striped for one Volume as target repository. (No clue about azures downloads, but should be way more then 50mbit)

On both machines the WAN Cache is seperated to another SSD, both works with 20 streams.

The problem is, ill only get ~17 MB/s transfer rate while no CPU/RAM is stressed. First i tried in azure with just one disk as repository, which results in even worse rates. Only my local uplink is draining ~55mbit constantly.
the veeam "bottlenecks" are
Source WAN ~98% (CPU idles below 5%, only 2,4GB RAM used by the VeeamWAN service, storages doesnt do anything)
Network ~83% (should be 100%...)
Target WAN ~99% (CPU ~15%, only 3GB in use by several Veeam+SQL services)
(the rest near null)

On the source, no SSD is doing anything except some small peaks. In azure i cant find any CPU/Disk combination which give me more then 800 IOPS... (maybe im missing something there?) thats why i tried to combine 3. At least they are active some times. There is no firewall etc. between them

according to my understanding veeam should utilize the CPU way more to minimize the network traffic. It feels like its acceleration nearly nothing and just create some more disk usage.
(im trying to copy an encrypted 1,2TB Agent backup as i dont have any hypervisor near, but i guess that shouldnt matter)

Any one any idea?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: WAN Accelerator to Azure VM

Post by Gostev »

Hello! It could be source or target storage too. You should investigate this with support, they can collect much more detailed performance metrics than the bottleneck analysis. Thanks!