Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: RH

Veeam Socket License Termination

Post by redhorse »

Hello,

we are currently using Veeam B&R 9.5 Enterprise and have licenses for four sockets and 10 instances, these licenses are used for the following workloads:

- Backup 2 ESXi-Server, each with two CPUs (= 4 sockets)
- Backup of 6 Hyper-V VMs with Veeam Agent for Windows (= 9 instances)

The Hyper-V VMs are running on two different physical hosts so it was much cheapter to use the instances instead of licensing both server with socket licenses. Veeam has informed about a change in the licensing a few month ago, that with version 10 it is not possible to use instance licensing within virtual machines. As we havy lots of VMs which are coverd by the socket licenses it is very expensive for us to change to VUL so I've planned to buy addition socket licenses for the two Hyper-V hosts before upgrading to V10.

Now, I've read that it is not possible to buy new socket licenses for Standard and Enterprise editions since beginning of this month. So, what can I do now? Is it right that I have to upgrade to Enterprise Puls to buy additional socket licenses or to convert my licenses to VUL which is no option for us.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Socket License Termination

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Yes, that's correct for new customers, though I would suggest double-checking with your sales rep for the options available to existing customers using sockets.
Yes, protecting VMs with a socket key and VUL using the same backup server is not possible. Please take a look at this topic for more info about this.

Thank you!
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Thanks.

Is it possible to backup the physical server itself (Hyper-V Host) with the socket license or does it only cover the running VMs on that host? In that case additional VULs would be needed.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hyper-V host itself cannot be backed up with a socket key. Usually, in the case of the Hyper-V host failure, it might be easier to install a new one.

Here you go some existing topics on this theme for further reading:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

redhorse wrote: Nov 27, 2020 8:31 amNow, I've read that it is not possible to buy new socket licenses for Standard and Enterprise editions since beginning of this month.
This is only true for new customers, and starting January 1st 2021. Existing customers are exempt from these changes, and can continue to expand their existing licenses normally. So, you don't have to do anything except just buying more sockets of whatever edition you currently have. Thanks!
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Thanks, I‘ve also received an official statement from Veeam regarding my licenses that existing customers are not affected.