Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dmitri-va
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dmitri

backup details in a VM custom attribute are too long

Post by dmitri-va »

We have Veeam's custom attribute enabled for all our backups for a quick and convenient way of verifying if VMs have successful backups.

Problem is when using html5 vSphere UI, this long value does not fit into the UI interface and there's no easy way to make it show the whole value (for example with mouseover)

I understand this is more on vmware, but wondering if maybe I'm just missing something here.

I can click on 'edit' under the custom attributes section, click inside the veeam's value and then move cursor with arrow keys back and forth to see the value, but there's got to be a better way.

Maybe I can customize what I want veeam to inject in there, make it shorter?

Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: backup details in a VM custom attribute are too long

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dmitri,

You cannot customize it, but I will bring your issue to the RnD team, so we could adjust our default template message. On a side note, if you have a handful of VMs, then you can give Veeam ONE Community Edition a try that can report on protected/unprotected VMs with our predefined report templates.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

BTW, I was just told that this field looks properly in vSphere 7, but we will review this text anyway. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, the ultimate fix will be to upgrade to vSphere 7, which everyone will do sooner or later.

While I can't reduce the length significantly without losing information, I plan on moving the time stamp to go first as the most important data point, and reducing "Veeam Backup" to just "Veeam". These changes will make v11.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Also, apparently you will not have this issue even with earlier vSphere versions, if you use the actual Notes attribute.