Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
valteresjunior
Certified Trainer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Valter Junior

Workstation Agent

Post by valteresjunior »

Hi All.

1. When I have a remote device (like a laptop) and I'm out of network, backup is made locally? If yes, how this backup is made?
2. How is the communication between Agent and Backup Server when I'm remotelly connected (ex: using VPN). Who will start the communcation? Should I copy my local backup to internal Backup Repository, or just when I connected to LAN?

Kind Regards.

Valter Junior
asdffdsa6131
Expert
Liked: 24 times

Re: Workstation Agent

Post by asdffdsa6131 »

hi,

i do this all the time over vpn.

agent will not notice the difference
1. my laptop in the office
2. my laptop connected to office via vpn.

i always start vagent via command script
"C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.Manager.exe" /backup

the only change i made to my laptop was to hard code an entry in the local host file
#VSERVER04
192.168.62.233 VSERVER04
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hi folks,
1. When I have a remote device (like a laptop) and I'm out of network, backup is made locally? If yes, how this backup is made?
When repository is disconnected backup job will fail. However, you can store the backup in temporary backup cache location and sync it later when connection with repository is established.
2. How is the communication between Agent and Backup Server when I'm remotelly connected (ex: using VPN). Who will start the communcation? Should I copy my local backup to internal Backup Repository, or just when I connected to LAN?
Agent connects with Veeam B&R to check access to the set repository according to job schedule. Once done, agent starts to send data blocks directly to the repository via repository gateway server.

i always start vagent via command script "C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.Manager.exe" /backup
You can also use backup event to perform backup when target is connected, it works for file share or Veeam repository as well (so not only USB devices are supported).
asdffdsa6131
Expert
Liked: 24 times

Post by asdffdsa6131 » 1 person likes this post

thanks,
i did not know it works with a Veeam repository.

as per the docs, a litle confusing, as repository is not explicitly mentioned?
"when the backup storage becomes available (for example, when the computer connects to a local network and the target shared folder is accessible)."
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for pointing this out! I'll ask technical writers to update the guide.