Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: RH

Backup files for full source job were changed

Post by redhorse »

Hello and happy new year!

I've a question regarding a standard tape job which uses a backup job as source. I noticed during the last backup that it used more tapes than before because a retry was required:

Code: Select all

31.12.2019 08:39:16 :: Backup files for full source job [i]Sourcejob[/i] were changed, retry is required...

I assume, that the backup to tape job started and some data was copied to tape and because the source job started during the tape job, the data had to be copied once again. I guess this behaviour happend before but without needing a retry. So, when is a retry necessary?

The only difference to previous backups in this case is, that the chosen restore point was the last incremental which was transformed into vbk during the job run. Could this be the reason?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup files for full source job were changed

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and Happy New Year to you too!

Tape job may be retried in case this source job backup files were modified during backup to tape job run. Then the latest state of the backup files is written to tape and you may notice additional space consumption. Cheers!
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Is it possible to prevent Veeam from modifying the source files during a running tape backup?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

With existing version the only workaround would be to define a completely separate job schedule (for example to run tape job after source job is completed).

For the upcoming versions - we've updated the engine to make sure that backup to tape job wont retry it's own tasks, so it will process only restore points that exist on the repository and will ignore newly appeared restore points. Cheers!
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

So with the updated engine a new VIB and the following merge process has no effect on a running tape job? In my case the backup files were modified through a new restore point and the file merge but the chosen restore point was still available for the tape job (just in a new way as).
skitch210
Veeam Software
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Marty Williams

Post by skitch210 »

@Dima P. Are you referring to v11 here or v10a?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

It's available starting from v10.
s.weis
Novice
Liked: never

Post by s.weis »

Where can I activate this feature? We have Veeam B&R 10.0.1.4854 but still the problem with "Backup files for full source job JOBNAME were changed, retry is required... ".
We have a tape job which runs more than 24 hours so there are new backups availablein source job while the tape job is still running.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

s.weis,

This functionality works out of the box. Can you please raise a support case and share the case ID with me? We will check your logs with QA team. Thanks!