Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

New backup retention V10

Post by FrancWest »

In V10 you now have the option to specify the retention in days or number of restore points for a backup job. However, on a backup copy job you don't have this option. Here you are only able to specify the number of restore points to keep. Why is this? This sounds a bit inconsistent to me ;-)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: New backup retention V10

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Franc,
Backup copy job has new Immediate copy mode which works great with retention in days.
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Hi,

I'm aware of that, but there you also have to specify number of restore points to keep and not in days. So when the copy job runs multiple times a day, you still have to calculate how many restore point you need for 'x days'. And the number of days on the backup job was introduced to get rid of that calculation ;-)
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Another thing I notice is that in the status panel of an immediate copy job the bottleneck, duration and processing speed is no longer being shown.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Backup Copy will likely be updated in the next release, to be in line with the primary backup job (including new time-based approach to GFS retention). It was just too many changes to make in a single release + it helps to stabilize the new logic in primary jobs before moving it to backup copy jobs. Thanks!
DominikM
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dominik Meier

[MERGED] Feature Request: Backup Copy Job Retention Policy in Days

Post by DominikM »

The newly introduced feature to the backup job to set a retention policy in days instead of restore points is great. I'm somehow missing this feature on backup copy jobs.
So assuming I have a retention policy of 30 days on my backup job. The job will run twice a day. Equals in 60 restore points.
Setting my corresponding backup copy job to 30 retention points results in only 15 days of restore points (if my math is right?). So wouldn't it be easier to have the same options for retention policy on backup copy jobs as well?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Dominik, thanks for the request. Please see above - chances are this change will be introduced some time later.
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

[MERGED] Copy job for agent jobs

Post by lowlander »

Hi,

On a backup job you can define the amount of restore points to keep or define the amount of days.

creating a copy job only let you specify the amount of restore points. Is it possible to define the amount of days as in the backup-job ?

thanks !
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Copy job for agent jobs

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi lowlander, no, that's not possible. Thanks!
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

Post by lowlander »

Hi Vitaly, thans for the quick response.

Is there any reason or logic why "the amount of days" is not implemented for copy jobs regarding retention option ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I guess only because it is a new feature, but eventually, it should come to backup copy jobs too. Please see above for more info.