Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Filippo1975
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Filippo M

Disable write cache on disk to improve performance?

Post by Filippo1975 »

Dir Sirs,
we are veeam cloud service provider and we offer to our costomer the remote backup service. We have got one veeam cloud connect server. the data are stored to a veeam mount server (windows) through veeam transport service to a disk formatted in refs.
Everyhthing is fine but we just only know if disable the write cache on disk could improve performace..
Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Disable write cache on disk to improve performance?

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

You could try. I'd expect the results to be extremely dependent on your storage hardware. Perhaps some enterprise-grade RAID controllers may benefit from this. Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Disable write cache on disk to improve performance?

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Filippo,

I believe that it would be enough to follow the recommendations for REFS from our best practices guide. Additionally, you can test performance in both cases with disabled and enabled cache to understand if this setting really matters in your particular case. However, I would perform such an experiment in the test environment by using some benchmark tools like for example IOMeter or DiskSpd.

By the way, this KB article provides troubleshooting recommendations which may help to correctly identify the cause of slow synthetic operations in Service Provider environments.

Thanks!