Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kevdpc
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kevin Chubb

Application-aware processing

Post by kevdpc »

Two questions...

I successfully tested restoring an AD object with Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Active Directory, but I never enabled application-aware processing for the job. Also none of the credentials I have stored are domain admins. I thought these were both requirements?

In the event of a full VM restore for a domain controller, would application-aware processing help anything or is it just for restoring objects?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Application-aware processing

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,
I successfully tested restoring an AD object with Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Active Directory, but I never enabled application-aware processing for the job. Also none of the credentials I have stored are domain admins. I thought these were both requirements
Sure, in case of image-based backup we still got all the data within the backup, so application item recovery will work.
In the event of a full VM restore for a domain controller, would application-aware processing help anything or is it just for restoring objects?
I'd say it must be enabled if you have any VSS compatible application that requires to be instructed about upcoming backup process. Otherwise you will have to deal with lost off issues after recovery, take a look at this article for more details Application-Aware Processing. Cheers!
kevdpc
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kevin Chubb

Re: Application-aware processing

Post by kevdpc »

If image-based backups don't require application-aware processing and domain admin credentials in order to use Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Active Directory, then what does require them? The Veeam Explorer documentation says they're required.