Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kubimike
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: MikeO

Time limit on backup jobs

Post by kubimike »

I have a job that keeps failing to backup to my cloud provider with the error message shown below. After having my ticket moved to Tier 2 I was told there is a time limit of 7 days before the backup job is canceled. Please see his notes below, I am also having an issue with the job resuming where it left off. The job will restart, delete the files, and make a fresh backup. At this point since the job won't resume and there is no work around for the time limit I can't backup my server ! :roll: :x

Code: Select all

Note added: 11/24/2020 9:38:57 PM :: Error: Application is shutting down.
Failed to upload disk.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
Exception from server: Application is shutting down.
Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [75473927].
Failed to download disk '26aaf4e7-c773-4c00-9293-af13da80a992'.

Code: Select all

[17.11.2020 21:34:09] <01> Info   Job session is running in full mode

[17.11.2020 21:34:01] <01> Info   Starting job. IsRetryMode: 'False'

[24.11.2020 21:34:28] <22> Info      Job progress: '50%', '20,565,667,028,480' of '40,558,210,784,768' bytes, object '0' of '1'

[24.11.2020 21:34:34] <10> Error Failed to connect to agent's endpoint '127.0.0.1:2500'. Host: 'STOR01'.

We have a coded timeout of 7 days. You are reaching that before it could complete.The resume will help with this, but the better option is the possibility of seeding.

[b]Because at this rate, the job won't complete for over 2 weeks, so seed would be better if that's possible. 

However, if that's not possible, we will have to rely on the retry. This hard-coded timeout cannot be increased.[/b]

Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Time limit on backup jobs

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Mike,

Can you please clarify what Veeam Agent for Windows version you are using? How large is the source data set and what is the average throughput during backup?
here is a time limit of 7 days before the backup job is canceled
That's correct, single job run is currently limited to 7 days.
I am also having an issue with the job resuming where it left off.
Resume works within single job run and it triggered by backup job retry logic, have you noticed any retries being performed during 7 day job run? Thanks!
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

I am doing a 30T backup job, Veeam agent 4.0.1.2169, average throughput 35MB . What is the purpose of the limit? Takes a problem we don't have and doesn't even solve it. As far as resuming goes, how would that take place when it hits the 7 day limit ? As a matter of fact, I've had another reason for the job to fail two days in and the auto resume process did not take place. I've sent so many log samples of tired of it, just need it fixed. REMOVE THE HARD LIMIT!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

We are researching the possibility to add the registry to override this limit but the problem wont go away - looks like the entire backup set is large for the average throughput. Any chance you can set up a local repository on the agent side and use backup copy to cloud connect instead (i.e. backup copy to Veeam B&R which could be located at the cloud connect site)?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

kubimike wrote: Nov 25, 2020 11:11 pmTakes a problem we don't have and doesn't even solve it.
The problem it solves is backup job just handing forever, thus never sending notifications, and user not knowing they have no backups running as the result. If a patient does not come out of his hospital ward after 7 days, you really don't want to be assuming she is fine. 7 days is when we say "enough is enough".

@Dima P. I think we can simply use a different timeout for full backups.
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

not sure what you’re talking about the job never hangs. you can see from the vbr console it’s running and not stuck. this needs to get fixed I can’t run backups. the only reason it fails is because of the time limit. this issue from what I can see has been going on since 2017
Dima P. wrote: Nov 26, 2020 8:15 pm We are researching the possibility to add the registry to override this limit but the problem wont go away - looks like the entire backup set is large for the average throughput. Any chance you can set up a local repository on the agent side and use backup copy to cloud connect instead (i.e. backup copy to Veeam B&R which could be located at the cloud connect site)?
the problem isn’t speed to the internet it’s the underlying storage. So If I did do it locally it probably won’t finish, from whatI can see a full will take 12 days
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

kubimike wrote: Nov 28, 2020 12:58 pmnot sure what you’re talking about the job never hangs.
It may not hang in your or most other infrastructures, but some infrastructures have issues which may cause the job to hang (or slow down to the crawl so that they never complete). Also, while you may not have such issues now, something can break 1 year later in your environment, causing the job to hang then.
kubimike wrote: Nov 28, 2020 12:58 pmyou can see from the vbr console it’s running and not stuck.
I'm happy that you realize the importance of checking on your jobs periodically, but many people simply never open the VBR console again after the initial set up... up until they need to restore.
bytewiseits
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Dion Norman

Post by bytewiseits »

I agree that this hard limit is very frustrating in some scenarios. We have had similar issues with this hard coded timeout when managing agents via VSPC (not VBR), low upload connections and do not have the option to seed the backups.

Unfortunately in this instance resume does not work, instead the initial incomplete backup data is deleted from CloudConnect when the job restarts and it starts from scratch all over again (exactly as kubimike noted happens with VBR).

If there was an override key to push it past the hard coded timeout of 7 days that would be great - we could do the initial full then remove the key. Better yet, just let the job keep running but raise a warning that the job is still running after 7 days like you can do in VPSC (this would be my preference as you don't have to fail, apply reg key & start all over again).

Another option would be to fix the resume functionality so that it can actually resume after an artificial timeout. If it has uploaded 500GB and timed out, then fail, restart the backup but keep the existing 500GB of blocks already sent and start sending the rest/changes etc (same as backup copy from VBR).
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

@gostev based on what bytewise stated it doesn’t matter if it’s standalone or managed. How can we get a registry key to extend the timeout
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

We will consider adding it to the future versions. Thanks!
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

Why was my post deleted? Also we dont have time for a consideration. Need it fixed.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Your post was deleted because it was redundant: all it did was asking me again to provide an update, and quoting the previous post in its entirety again. Since I provided an update, there was no reason to keep the post, especially due to it containing a huge repeat quote. We're just trying to keep this forum clean and easily readable. Thanks!
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

let me make it more clear, will running the job in stand alone allow resume to work? I can't do my backups, I pay for support Im asking for help you delete my post. It was not a redundant post
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

kubimike wrote: Dec 02, 2020 3:58 pmI can't do my backups, I pay for support Im asking for help
Well, as explained when you click New Topic, this is not a support forum. It has a different purpose, and it is maintained accordingly to match this specific purpose. If you have some technical issues doing your backups and need help, you should open a support case (which is the service you're paying Veeam for). Thanks!
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

A ticket is open, I pasted that in the post you deleted 04483712 now what?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Now you should just wait for our support to assist you with the issue.

I'm sorry that I did not see a support case ID in your post (this is an important information for us to have), perhaps it was buried in that big quote - because it was certainly not in the post itself, which only had like 3 words including my nickname.
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

Support can't offer anymore help. Im coming to you, Ive come to you before to solve issues. You solved the ReFS issue, I can't do backups Ive asked several times now a few questions which you still haven't answered. This ticket has been open for a very long time. I have unprotected data that needs backup. Lets get the registry key to address this problem.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, as both myself and Dima have already said above, we will certainly consider implementing the registry key in future releases, based on your feedback.
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

How does that help me now ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I'm sorry that we cannot address your need instantly, but this is the reality of how software development cycles work. I suggest we don't keep beating a dead horse.
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

im not beating a dead horse Im asking for help. Will running the job in stand alone work for resume past the 7 day limit ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I believe 7 days is a global setting, no matter how you run the agent. @Dima P. can you please confirm?
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

I think you should read my support ticket, your helpdesk person thinks thats not the case. Before I waste time running it for 7 days again I'd like to know.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I've reviewed the case details and will discuss it with support folks - some information indeed might be little confusing. Current timeout of 7 days works for all VAW jobs and does not rely on license or management mode. This timeout shuts down the retry functionality as ell, so resume functionality does not work (resume works within the retry cycle of the backup job).

Mike,

Can you please clarify the following:

1. Is that a single 30 TB disk / volume?
2. Are you planning to continue incremental backup for this machine or, by any chance, this is a one-time full backup?

Thanks!
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

@Dima P.
Thank you, its a 30 TB volume .
Yes forever forward .
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

Any news? We are audited a lot since we are a law firm. We are asked about backups of our data. Not sure what to say at this point.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Possible workarounds:

1. Any chance you can access this machine directly from Veeam B&R server? If yes, you can try file level backup (nas backup or file to tape job to VTL in case you don't have actual tape library) and split the content across multiple jobs to make the backup size less impactful.
2. Another option might be split the content of the volume across multiple file level agent jobs, additionally, you can exclude the content that is not required to be protected (and script those to run one after another)

As for the timeout behavior change it's planned for next major version.
BLR-IT
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: IT Support

Post by BLR-IT »

I can second your frustration @Kubimike as we have been dealing with the 7-day hard limit since the very beginning. In fact, because we didn't know about this, it took us a good 4 months to initially figure out how to cleverly backup our data and that's even after seeding many TB in anticipation of avoiding lengthy backups. This limit has caused a lot of grief and wasted time. Here's a kicker for ya, we have gotten somewhere between 95%-99% on a number of large backups for the jobs to only fail right at the very last few minutes and as you know, when this happens you have to restart from the very beginning. Talk about infuriating!

I am now facing an issue with the Change Block Mechanisms of the software and it's causing a slow down which also causes us to hit that 7-day limit. Haven't been able to backup our files for a couple weeks now because of this.

I sure hope they can accommodate the needs of their users who need more than 7 days. It can't be that hard to implement an override
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi BLR-IT,
Sorry to hear that.
I am now facing an issue with the Change Block Mechanisms of the software and it's causing a slow down which also causes us to hit that 7-day limit. Haven't been able to backup our files for a couple weeks now because of this.
Any chance you have a case ID to share for a review?

Update: We've discussed the issue with support folks and it might be possible to create an isolated fix to adjust the limit, so looks like we will have a workaround now which can be requested via support team. Stay tuned.
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

That would be a Christmas Miracle. I’m sure you’ll let us know when we can request the work around ?