Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
kewnev
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Nev

Wasabi & Object-Lock Based Immutability

Post by kewnev »

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone has heard any further on how Wasabi is progressing with Veeam compatible object-lock based immutability?
Wasabi has kept dangling the carrot, and the dates keep getting pushed further. Q4 is coming towards an end & Backblaze is looking tempting..

Many Thanks :)

Nev
klin8251
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Peter Klingler

Re: Wasabi & Object-Lock Based Immutability

Post by klin8251 »

I too would like an update on this.
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Post by dalbertson »

Calling @wasabi-jim & @wasabi_vilas For their input.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
adamfindlay
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Adam Findlay

Post by adamfindlay » 1 person likes this post

same ive been waiting for this for what seems an age now. Think ill give it another month than make the switch to Backblaze as for all we know it will be another 12 months!
theviking84
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: David Dunworthy

Post by theviking84 » 1 person likes this post

I can tell you guys that a month or two ago I did open a support ticket with Wasabi and their reply was that "other items have taken priority" over this. That is why there is a delay. Who knows what they have going on over there, but this was a big deal for lots of Veeam customers, and I know Wasabi wants them to be happy and use their service, so it is a little puzzling.

But again of course, we don't know what kind of roadblocks they might have run into over there with how they do things and how they are set up.
adamfindlay
Service Provider

Post by adamfindlay »

thanks for the update and it seems it might not be high on the priority list in that case! Its a shame especially as other providers are now actively offering it (aside from AWS).

Guess we wait and see..
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

theviking84 wrote: Feb 01, 2021 9:05 pm I can tell you guys that a month or two ago I did open a support ticket with Wasabi and their reply was that "other items have taken priority" over this.
I totally accept this is the answer you got, but I kind of wonder if the support rep was being truthful or blowing smoke up your "somewhere" ;)

This sounds like a generic support response to be honest, and given that Immutable is one of the top checklist items I see frequently from clients, I assume this cannot possibly be the case that they backburnered immutability.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 3 people like this post

Regardless, I must say I keep being impressed with their popularity among Veeam users!

Their consumption is quickly becoming more or less comparable to one of the hyperscalers, and actually at the current trend they will probably beat them sometimes next year! At least for "hot" object storage, as of course the Archive Tier in v11 will change the game as it comes to hyperscalers consumption.

But even more importantly, with this MASSIVE amount of Veeam backups they are hosting, I don't really see much/any complaints or negative feedback about them here on the forums or in support? Seems like they provide a solid service. And honestly, I'd rather have them continue having that as their #1 priority, as opposed to rushing to implement new features.
kewnev
Enthusiast

Post by kewnev »

> And honestly, I'd rather have them continue having that as their #1 priority, as opposed to rushing to implement new features.

We are told of the importance of having air-gapped backups, and from what I've read, immutability is the only truly effective way to ensure this with cloud-based backups. So I have to disagree with you a bit there Gostev. This isn't just about a new feature or a nice to have, immutability is a critical one. Rotated offsite hard drives just don't cut the mustard anymore and it is inefficient having to write the full data set each time. I do realise we could go to Amazon or Backblaze, and we may end up doing this.
dalbertson
Veeam Software

Post by dalbertson » 2 people like this post

@kewnev No one is debating the importance of air-gapped backups, especially Gostev. But what I do understand is that wasabi is making sure that when they release object lock, it functions as it should and scales. Its easy to question why isnt someone doing something but its not an easy task to implement a feature like this. I have spoken with Wasabi and they understand the importance of this feature and are putting priority on it (they already were). As soon as its ready they will release the feature with much fanfare.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

That is absolutely correct... we've had more than enough support issues by now with vendors who rushed their object lock support (both cloud and on-prem object storage).
ale.com
Novice
Full Name: Alessio Comai

Post by ale.com »

Of course Gostev is right, and it's better waiting some months to have a stable and working feature... but we should expect an ETA! (another) one quarter could be fine, 2 years are (probably) too much for many of us. Not knowing which of those two timings is more accurate is puzzling. :-(
adamfindlay
Service Provider

Post by adamfindlay »

I totally agree. Its the fact they have now told me three times over the past 18 months (last time was in Jan 2021) that it will be the current quarter so I think ill wait for it and then it doesn't come which is massively frustrating. Being transparent and realistic about timescales would be helpful to customers instead of just saying its coming any minute now all the time.
dalbertson
Veeam Software

Post by dalbertson » 1 person likes this post

Just hold on a bit longer. I have seen it with my own eyes and have sent data. They are getting close. Good things come to those who wait :)
dalbertson
Veeam Software

Post by dalbertson » 3 people like this post

Actually i have good news. After speaking with Wasabi I am happy to report that today they have entered Beta with their object lock support. If anyone is interested in testing this you can email support@wasabi.com and ask to be a beta tester.

Of course this is for testing only and not production data.
adamfindlay
Service Provider

Post by adamfindlay »

Hi @dalbertson thats great thankyou for sharing the update. I will drop them an email and see if I can become a beta tester.

thanks!

Adam
klin8251
Influencer
Full Name: Peter Klingler

Post by klin8251 »

Is Wasabi Object-Lock officially supported now?
https://wasabi-support.zendesk.com/hc/e ... 0059270252
dalbertson
Veeam Software

Post by dalbertson »

It’s not yet released publicly. Wasabi is currently in beta testing and is performing Veeam ready testing as well. The idea is to be fully supported when they launch their service publicly.
nathano
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Nathan Oldfield

Post by nathano » 1 person likes this post

Look what's just been released https://wasabi.com/object-lock/
dalbertson
Veeam Software

Post by dalbertson » 1 person likes this post

It has!!! We have tested it out for functionality as well. There will be a webinar next week by wasabi on it so make sure to check it out.
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor » 1 person likes this post

I've just found this fresh KB entry but it looks like you've already shared the news here ;)
https://www.veeam.com/kb4159
dalbertson
Veeam Software

Post by dalbertson » 2 people like this post

Correct. That’s the result of wasabi submitting for Veeam ready. We validated the platform for both object and object with immutability.
kewnev
Enthusiast

Post by kewnev » 2 people like this post

Glad to see they eventually got there, excellent news!