Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
another_fine_maze
Novice
Liked: 4 times

Not your usual airgap/offline repository question - backup on vessel

Post by another_fine_maze » 1 person likes this post

Heya folx,

I had a bit of a challenging one recently. I needed to design something for a backup environment out of my usual comfort zone. It's a marine freight company. Each small container vessel has a handful of VMware VMs on a couple of hosts, and a few physical servers that need to be protected, running multiple backups per day. Short retentions: 31 days. They do the occasional recovery of data while the vessel is at sea.

The next requirement was that there must be a secondary copy of the data that is not on the vessel. This makes sense. Who wouldn't want that? As we saw in the states with the USS Bonhomme Richard, you never know what's going to happen to a ship.

Here's the kicker: There are no onboard communications capable of handling a datastream to copy those backups while the vessel is at sea. No capable satellite links. The vessels are on a regular run...every thursday (for instance) they are guaranteed to be in port. The port in question has data connections to each vessel (be it cabled or wireless). So they want all the local backups copied to a second repository that is not always connected. They are ok with a RPO of several days if they lose their on-vessel environment for whatever reason.

I went down the path of putting a VBR on each vessel, a local repository to handle their time at sea and then some, in case they get delayed to port, and a backup copy job that runs every Thursday to a repository on shore. VBR will complain about a repository not being available whenever the ship isn't in port, but it will see the repo every Thursday. The backup copy job will fire, and away it goes...

I submitted the idea, it was accepted. However, I like to second guess myself apparently. Can anyone think of a better way of handling a requirement where a secondary copy goes to a repository that is often unavailable?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2895 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Not your usual airgap/offline repository question - backup on vessel

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I added "backup on vessel" to the headline to make it easier for other readers.

For the backup copy job: sounds okay for me. The backup copy job can deal with it. Which mode are you using? Mirror or periodic?

Yes, I have heard of secondary copy on ships, oil platforms etc. from several customers. Without internet link, they often have a second place on the ship where they copy data to. Depending on the amount of data, even USB media (rotated drive checkbox) might be an option.

Best regards,
Hannes
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Post by nitramd » 1 person likes this post

An advantage to rotated USB drives is that they'll be offline and secured at some point. The disadvantage is the drives are still onboard.

But then you'd be following the 3-2-1 paradigm.

An interesting problem here.
another_fine_maze
Novice

Post by another_fine_maze »

Thanks! Long time listener, first time caller. :D

I submitted it as periodic, but I can see the value in mirrored as well.

I've done the really remote stuff before, oilsands camps in northern canada... but they always had some constant connection to home base, so to speak. Might have been slow and expensive, but it was there. First time I've had to deal with /no/ connection most of the time.... but a need to be offloaded all the same.

Data isn't much. I think the largest dataset on a vessel is 3 terabytes (and not all of that needs to be protected)
HannesK wrote: Aug 06, 2020 5:56 am Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I added "backup on vessel" to the headline to make it easier for other readers.

For the backup copy job: sounds okay for me. The backup copy job can deal with it. Which mode are you using? Mirror or periodic?

Yes, I have heard of secondary copy on ships, oil platforms etc. from several customers. Without internet link, they often have a second place on the ship where they copy data to. Depending on the amount of data, even USB media (rotated drive checkbox) might be an option.

Best regards,
Hannes
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » 2 people like this post

Maybe I'm crazy but the first thing that came to my mind was a marine drone carrying a copy of data to the shore :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6729 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

I guess less technologically advanced solution would be to just keep tape backups on a buoy with the GPS tracker, and have that buoy sitting on a safe part of the deck (where no fires or explosions are possible). This can be further improved with the automatic release system in case of a fire alarm. If the vessel sinks, the buoy will be very easy to locate. Or, in case of a false alarm, it will be easy to pick back up.

But this is not a good solution for military vessels obviously, as it may be destroyed by weaponry.
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Post by nitramd »

wishr wrote: Aug 10, 2020 10:23 am Maybe I'm crazy but the first thing that came to my mind was a marine drone carrying a copy of data to the shore :)
@wishr,

If Amazon can delivery packages via drones, a.k.a. Prime Air, than you're not far off of the mark: https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Prime-Air ... 8037720011

Pretty cool videos of delivery drones in action; the video with Jeremy Clarkson is hilarious but it makes a point.

So, marine drones? Why not?
another_fine_maze
Novice

Post by another_fine_maze » 3 people like this post

Looks like this project is moving forward, so I'll update this on how (if) this works out.
davidwatts71
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: David Alexander Watts

Post by davidwatts71 » 2 people like this post

in a couple of years you should be able to use Elon's Starlink :-)
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

@another_fine_maze,

I wonder whether an equivalent of "When backup target is connected" scheduling option (if it existed in BCJ settings) would address the problem?

Thanks!