Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ratkinsonuk
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Robert Atkinson

Veeam Cloning Win Over Rivals

Post by ratkinsonuk » 1 person likes this post

I took possession of a shiny new 1TB SSD this weekend, and decided to go with the 'supplied for free' Acronis software for cloning between my old SSD and the new one.

The clone went very smoothly, but when I booted I found it wasn't seeing the on-board audio hardware. I went into panic mode and wondered what I'd shorted out opening up the case. Then I turned to some Googling, and found a few posts around similar Acronis cloning issues.

At this point, I decided to pull out the big guns and got my Veeam Windows Agent backup on the case. My heart was still in my mouth as the standalone-boot 'bare metal' restore interface doesn't really tell you where it's restoring the data back to, and I have two 1TB drives in my system, one of them with 20 years worth of my photos, etc on. (yeh, I know...why isn't it backed up somewhere else....)

After 15 minutes of boot, restore (110GB) replace the SSD and boot again, my PC was moved over to the new SSD and no missing hardware.

So, if you want to do a proper job....get a proper product which actually costs the same as the free one - nothing! :D
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Cloning Win Over Rivals

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Robert,

Thanks for the honest feedback! Mind me asking, more about the issue with detecting the correct drive for restore? When you restore to dissimilar hardware Recovery Media should prompt you for the manually mapping where the name and the size of the drive should be displayed (including the layout). Cheers!