Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 180 times
Full Name: Michael

agent backup dramatically slows down the whole system

Post by mcz »

Hi everybody,

I've got an ideapad 700 by Lenovo, which has an i7 and NVMe, 12 GB RAM. Now everything runs fine and the whole system is quite fast - after almost 4 years. From time to time when I start a backup job, it can slow down the whole system and I really don't understand it.

As I said it has an NVMe an should therefore be quite performant - but if you look at this screenshot, it looks like that it's running on an very old hdd:

First of all, backup job runs fine (say 200 MB/s) but as time goes on, the throughput drops until you have 20 MB/s after the job has finished. During the job, you really cannot work on this machine because everything takes really forever (e.g. you wait 10 seconds until even start-menu would appear and such crazy stuff). If you abort the job, the metrics go back to normal. In the screenshot we see a very high latency (last column) of seconds (!!!), which is too slow for the mentioned disk type, veeam agent reads the most data of all processes. We also see that there is a IO of 11 MB/s, which is also very little BUT we see 100 % disk usage (blue rectangle). I read multiple articles about windows search service and that stuff, but as I said when veeam doesn't do the backup, everything goes back to normal.

Has anybody an idea what's going on? Can maybe someone explain me the story behind the 100 % disk activity? Are there so many disk operations that some kind of queue would get full, but such little datatransfer so that it would end in only 11 MB/s?

Thanks very much!
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Re: agent backup dramatically slows down the whole system

Post by nitramd »

Hello Michael.

Any antivirus/antimalware scanner(s) running?

Any more details you can share, i.e. where is the data being saved? Version of VAW? How long has this been happening? Has anything changed recently?
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

Antivirus is running (G Data), data is being saved to external USB device, version of agent is up to date (4.0.x). I'm not aware of any changes...
nitramd
Veteran

Post by nitramd »

Have you looked at the log files under C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Endpoint?

Also, what's the frequency of slowness? Once per week?

If the slowness occurs infrequently it could be there's either a synthetic backup or active full backup occurring.

Check the Settings and ensure that "Throttle backup activity when system's busy" is unchecked; I don't think this is it but another possibility to look at.
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

I haven't checked the logs - what should I look for? The slowness was only during backup and didn't occur the last month but it also occured quite a long time ago. No, it wasn't synthetic or active full, just a increment.

What I still would like to understand is the metric about "maximum activity"...
nitramd
Veteran

Post by nitramd »

You'd be looking for entries that are out of the ordinary, i.e. "error", "could not connect", "fail", etc.

I'll admit that after looking at a number of logs the reading is pretty dry!
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

ok guys, the issue is gone. I assume that it was due to the Windows 10 2004 version, which wasn't supported at that point.