Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
SmokinJoe
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Joe G

change from network to CBT

Post by SmokinJoe »

Hi All,

So far it is not very obvious how to force the backup to be CBT and if CBT is not there fail or switch to a network backup. Is this in plane sight and I am just missing it? I swear several months ago I had to edit this setting so that it would always do a CBT backup.

Thanks,
Joe
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: change from network to CBT

Post by foggy »

Hi Joe, not sure I understand your request. CBT is somewhat perpendicular to the transport mode (if that is what you mean by 'network backup'). Basically, if CBT is enabled in the job settings, it is used unless there's something that prevents it from being used - e.g. existing snapshot or whatever, in the latter case the job fails over to Veeam B&R proprietary mechanism of calculating changes by reading the entire VM data.
SmokinJoe
Enthusiast

Post by SmokinJoe »

Hi Foggy,

Yes transport mode, where do I see that in the GUI to change and limit what the system will do and where do I see it in the logs as to what transport has been used for a job?

Thanks,
Joe
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Backup Infrastructure - Proxy
You define the transport mode there.
Again it has nothing to do with CBT. Change Block Tracking works with any of the transport modes.

You see it in the Job Statistics (richt click on job) - then click on a specific VM on the left. It will bring up processing details for the selected VM on the right. For each disk you will see the transport mode named there.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can configure transport mode in the particular proxy server settings. The transport mode that is being effectively used for VM processing during the job can be identified by the corresponding tag in the job session. Select the particular VM in the list to the left and look up the hard disk processing entry - you should see one of the tags there: [san], [hotadd], [ndb].
SmokinJoe
Enthusiast

Post by SmokinJoe »

I have a single server so it is the Veeam console and proxy.

I do not see a "tag" in a "job" session.

/Home/Jobs/Backup/CBT Windows
I right click on the object and "edit" - what I see is
Name
Virtual Machines
Storage*
Guest Processing
Schedule
Summary

* Advanced Backup Mode Incremental(ONLY i.e. no crate synthetic backups on Saturday, Maintenance Health checks on Saturday and defragment on Sunday

This video did help some : https://www.veeam.com/videos/know-more- ... 15234.html

I have two VEEAM 10a servers, one running Window Server 2016 and the other running Windows Server 2019.

On the 2016 server with the vCenter 5.5 things seem to work very fast, at times running 650 megabytes per second. I can't tell if this is using "Direct storage Access" or "Virtual Appliance" hot add to my Fiber Channel IBM storage. All I know it is NOT using the network.

My windows 2019 is running against a test vCenter 6.7 and it seems to be stuck in network mode.

What are your suggestions to get out of "Network" mode jail?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

Right click on a job - Statistics
When it is open, click on the left a specific VM. Then the details on the right changes to the VM statistics you have selected and then you see per VM disk a line that indicate which transport mode is used.

There is no transport mode selection per job. You define it per Proxy Server (your backup server) in
Backup Infrastructure - Proxy
SmokinJoe
Enthusiast

Post by SmokinJoe »

Thanks Andreas,

That was the little piece I was missing. I have since moved my VEEAM 10a windows 2019 server to the same VMware host/cluster as the VM's it is backing up. Now it is consistently using hot add for the proxy(itself) and not bogging down the LAN. That is perfect and what I wanted. Too bad we can't use the "Network" for incremental jobs and "Hot Add" for the first backup and any restores of the whole VM.

For now it looks like my issue is resolve and all is working well. I would like to thank all who contributed to this learning experience.

Thanks,
Joe