Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
fredbloggs
Service Provider
Liked: never

Using Veeam to replicate MS DPM

Post by fredbloggs »

Currently use Veeam to backup our virtual machines, and use DPM to backup our physical and an additional layer in some virtual so that users don't see the occasional blip that happens with snapshot removal.

Our MS DPM server is running as a VM and i'm curious whether anyone is using Veeam BR to replicate an MS DPM 2010 server to a remote site. Can't use DPM's inbuilt secondary server replication as certain clients wouldn't have their backup protected by this extra server.

Anyway, any thoughts? replication intervals? replication conflicts with DPM snapshots (currently backup nightly using veeam) but wish to investigate hourly replications during the day.

Cheers
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Using Veeam to replicate MS DPM

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Fred,

As far as I know DPM uses agents inside the guests for creating consistent snapshots, so I don't think there should be any conflicts between DPM and VMware snapshots, as they are operate on different layers.

As regards to replication intervals and other considerations you should keep in mind, then clould you please clarify what is the connection link between your sites? In addition, I guess It's better to replicate a DPM server when it is less active, but hourly replication strategy may also work.

Thank you!
fredbloggs
Service Provider

Post by fredbloggs »

You are correct on the DPM having agents inside guests, i'm not concerned for those in terms of replication as they replicate nightly (or in terms of physical guests, they just don't ).

I'm more concerned with replicating my virtual DPM server and whether anyone else is doing this. At this stage I can't see issues replicating (realise dependant upon pipe and that will take investigation) but thought i'd put the question out there.
PFSIT
Novice
Full Name: PFS IT

Post by PFSIT »

Hey fred,
did you get anywhere with this?

we have a Veeam server which backs up a whole bunch of VMs and also a DPM 2010 server (also a VM) which backs up more critical systems like an Exchange 2007 Cluster (which Veeam couldn't back up without breaking the cluster), and i was also considering backing up the DPM VM offsite.

interested to hear if you went ahead with this or have any results after testing?

Thanks
PFSIT
Novice
Full Name: PFS IT

Post by PFSIT »

I'm guessing that no one is using Veeam to backup/replicate a MS DPM 2010 server (running as a VM)?