Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
BruceLee
Influencer
Liked: never

How to clean up replications?

Post by BruceLee »

Hi,
I have a new client and looked at the veeam replications. I have never used that feature that much before.
So I'm not sure how to handle this case.
Over time the vm's where moved, double jobs were created, vcenter changed, vm's where setup and named with the old servernames and jobs were reused.
Now I have a long list of replicas in veeam ui with multiple entries for one vm.
Each vm has just one replica in VMware but multiple configurations in Veeam list.
So how to clean that up? If I use "delete from disk" in veeam ui will it only remove the replica?
The name is not the one of the replica but the source vm name (which is really confusing).
So I'm afraid it will delete the vm instead of the replica or even both.

Thanks a lot for any help
Best
BruceLee
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: How to clean up replications?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi!

It is hard to say which option should you use without clear distinguish of job-replica pairs.
- Check jobs one by one, compare Destination path of each job with existent replica VMs(in Veeam UI) and if orphaned job\replica found, you can just "Delete from Configuration" to start with.
- After that, do the same with infrastructure VMs - compare expected replicas from Veeam UI with existent replica VMs in the target host. If orphaned replicas found(those are not used by any Veeam job) - feel free to delete them manually.

Veeam's "Delete from Disk" refers to Replica VM, we will not touch production VM data in any shape or form under any "delete" case circumstances.

/Cheers!
BruceLee
Influencer

Post by BruceLee »

Thanks Egor. So just to make sure I understand that correctly...

The replica list in veeam ui is showing the vm source names even though the replica itself has an addition like _replica. Is that correct?

Selecting "Delete from Disk" will only deelte the replica? Correct?

So if I dont care creating all replicas again I could simply use "delete from disk" in veeam ui for all VMs.
This would cause the replica list in Veeam UI to be empty and the Replica-VMs would be deleted from VMWare too by that procedure (except orphans, but they dont exist in this case).
The replication jobs would run and create a new replica in the next schedule. Is that correct?

One again thanks for your support.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

- The replica list in veeam ui is showing the vm source names even though the replica itself has an addition like _replica. Is that correct? CORRECT!
- Selecting "Delete from Disk" will only deelte the replica? Correct? CORRECT!
- So if I dont care creating all replicas again I could simply use "delete from disk" in veeam ui for all VMs. This would cause the replica list in Veeam UI to be empty and the Replica-VMs would be deleted from VMWare too by that procedure (except orphans, but they dont exist in this case). CORRECT!
- The replication jobs would run and create a new replica in the next schedule. Is that correct? CORRECT!

My pleasure!
BruceLee
Influencer

Post by BruceLee »

thanks a lot for your great support Egor