Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
leonelferreyra
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Leonel Ferreyra

Moving from Veritas, GFS policy doubts, SOBR?

Post by leonelferreyra »

Hi, im new to Veeam, been using Veritas on 7 servers keeping copies on S3 weekly for a month, first monthly copy for a year, and first year copy for ten years, and just the full backups from Saturdays
Now have been reading on how to set this on veeam, and as I understand, S3 bucket copy only abaiable as Scale out Repo. So I know the basics to add s3 repo, and to set the SOBR, my doubts are should I set de GFS on the backup job as I need (as my actual schedule on veritas the restore points should stay on 7 ?), and then how should i set options on the SOBR in the capacity tier , copy as soon as created, copy on aged and how many days. I know that SOBR just uses a forever incremental what messes more my head.
Im sorry if this seems silly but the product its really diferent to what i'been using, thanks, ill keep reading before deploy but sometimes an straight answer can send you in the right directon
Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Moving from Veritas, GFS policy doubts, SOBR?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
my doubts are should I set de GFS on the backup job as I need
yes. just set it to the values you needs, as described in the user guide https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
and then how should i set options on the SOBR in the capacity tier
it depends whether you want to keep your data for years on-prem. if you want a copy of everything, then "copy" is the way to go. If you think that "after x days" I don't need the data any more on-prem, then you can go for copy & move

Best regards,
Hannes
leonelferreyra
Influencer

Post by leonelferreyra »

Thanks for your reply, we actually keep a week on premise, so older data we can afford to download from s3. I have de doubt if to have a copy on s3 with gfs rules SOBR is the only way?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

I have de doubt if to have a copy on s3 with gfs rules SOBR is the only way?
yes. I mean you can remove the copy checkbox, but then you don't have a copy of the latest 7 days. Are you missing anything? As far as I understand, you asked for GFS and that means that GFS needs to be configured.
leonelferreyra
Influencer

Post by leonelferreyra »

Thanks for the reply, i think im understanding how to set up this to my needs.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Leonel,

Yes, your understanding is correct. SOBR itself enables and controls the process of offloading data to object storage regardless of the offloading method (copy, move, or both), while retention is configured at the job level.

Thanks