Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
sandroalves
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Sandro da Silva Alves

Backup to Azure How does retention work?

Post by sandroalves »

Hello friends,

I'm going to set up a backup copy for Azure and I need to know how Veeam works in storing this data in Blob.

Usually in other solutions it takes a full copy of the backup.

When I use data replication from other solutions it takes the first complete and then only the difference deltas, thus optimizing the transfer rate.

Thanks.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Backup to Azure How does retention work?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Sandro.

Since you are posting under Object Storage forum, I guess your question relates to use of Azure as a Capacity Tier in Veeam?
If so, this Capacity Tier Retention article should have all the answers for you.

/Cheers!
sandroalves
Expert

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

my question is in relation to the worflow of transferring backups from the onpremises repository to Azure Blob.

The documentation says about retention.

I read that Veeam stores the data on the Blog like onpremises, that is, it will create a chain of VBK and VIBs.

What I want to know is for example:

- The first copy of the backup is full
- Second copy is incremental

That is, the transfer of the second backup onwards will be less since it will only take the incrementals.

Thanks.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

- The first copy of the backup is full
- Second copy is incremental
Not really, as Veeam copies\moves existing backup chains, so it will have dependency on source backup job type, it's retention settings, as well as Capacity Tier operation mode:
- Copy mode: Veeam will offload(copy) backup files as soon as new restore point becomes available, one by one. You have 1 copy on-prem and 1 copy in the cloud.
- Move mode: Veeam will wait for chain to become inactive, and offload(move) backup files to the cloud(a whole pack of vbk + vibs). This removes backup files from on-prem, and only stores them in the cloud.

/Hope that helps!
sandroalves
Expert

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

I am confused when advancing my tests.

I believed it was enough to create a repository for Azure, create a copy of the JOB and change the repository to Azure but it doesn't show the Azure repository.

I read another friend here in the community who went through the same problem and the solution was: create a new repository, create a scale-oute repository with the azure storage account.

So he managed to create a backup copy using the scale-out repository.

Does this mean that I will need to store the same backup on disk twice before transferring to Azure?

I didn't understand why I can't just create a backup copy and select the azure repository (Backup repository). What is it for then?

Thanks.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Sandro

You don't need additional\excessive local copies of your backup in general use case for Azure offloading. Not sure which thread you were looking around that case, but it might have been some tricky case workaround suggested.
You also don't need to do any additional copy jobs for Azure offloads - it is done automatically by Scale-Out Backup Repository(it does automatic Copy or Move of backups based on links above).
One half of SOBR will be your current local storage(Performance Tier), and Azure will take second half being a Capacity Tier. You set policies in SOBR settings and Veeam follows them, offloading backup files to the cloud as it is set.

/Cheers!
sandroalves
Expert

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

I also believe that it is something simple, but see how I set it up. It seems to be trying to work.

Here are the repositories that he required me to create during the scale-out setup for azure. If I try to select the daily backup repository it says it can't be used.

Here are my daily backups

Here are the repositories that I created and see that it does, it is consuming space.

Here he is being executed

Thanks.
sandroalves
Expert

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

I think I understand now how it works.

I was trying to use the default repository but when I configure the scale-out it doesn't allow. It only allowed after creating a new one and in this new one I can apply the scale-out.

I studied a video where it is done like this:

- Created a local repository where VM backups will be stored
- Created an external repository where the backups of the VMs will also be stored
- Created a scale-out using both repositories using the data locality configuration

In this scenario, the backup is made only on the local disk

When it is changed to policy performance it is defined that the full will be on the local disk and the incrementals on the external disk. Something like...

So I practiced something similar to test, but using the azure storage account.

- I created a local repository where VM backups will be stored
- I configured the scale-out to use this repository and enabled the extend for the azure storage account, using only the capacy tier policy for copy.

I noticed that the first full backup did not run SOBR Tiering, but the next one that ran the incremental but is showing a TLS error.

"Processing Diario VM01 Error: The TLS version of the connection is not permitted on this storage account."

Thanks.