Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

monitor the monitoring system (VeeamONE)

Post by sandsturm »

Hi

I'am searching for an idea, how to monitor the VeeamONE server/service itself. We forward all our alarms created by VeeamONE to our Event/Alert system, but if VeeamONE server ifself fails for any reason I maybe don't have a chance to send an alarm any more, depending on the outage. For this scenario I thought about creating a custom alarm in Veeam which is used as a heartbeat than. I created a VeeamONE custom alarm which monitors the VeeamONE monitor service and the VeeamONE Reporting service and just send then an alert with a low severity to our event/alert system. Our event/alert system triggers on this alarm and will generate an alert if this event does not arrive every 10 minutes. With this idea I have a heartbeat which does not rely on VeeamONE functionality to check if VeeamONE is alive, but the heartbeat is sent with VeeamONE mechanisms, meaning that if this alert is not sent, I know that something happend with VeeamONE.
The only problem now is, that this alarm is not sent every 10 minutes even though I have created a 10 minute delay time for this custom alarm. The alarm triggered only once and after that no more. I assume because the status of the VeeamONE service did not change, the alarm was not sent again?

My question is now: how can I create an alarm which is just sent every 10 minutes for my use as a heartbeat?

thx
sandsturm
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: monitor the monitoring system (VeeamONE)

Post by wishr »

Hi Sandsturm,

To be honest, monitoring of Veeam ONE monitoring service with VONE itself is not a good idea because you will not receive the alarm if the service went down, however, this will work for VONE reporting service, and actually, that's why we have a predefined alarm for it.

Speaking about the custom alarm behavior, the alarm will be increasing the repeat count once a day during the period when the service is dead and will resolve automatically once the service is back running.

Delay time controls how much time passes between the event (of service failure, for example) and the alarm trigger.

Thanks
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

Post by sandsturm »

I know that monitoring VONE with VONE is a bad idea and therefore my idea is to just send a heartbeat from VONE and the receiver of this heartbeat alerts if the heartbeat is missing. With this plan, I don't rely on VONE. How can i achieve such a heartbeat with VONE?

thx
sandsturm
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Just point your "receiver" e.g. Splunk, SCOM, Zabbix, whatever directly to the VONE services.

Thanks