Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
MoshiMoshi
Novice
Liked: never

Help with GFS and capacity tier

Post by MoshiMoshi »

Apologies for creating yet another thread about retention/GFS and my lack of knowlage but I've been reading for a few hours and im still not sure how to set it up correctly.

I'm trying to convert our current backup which is:
* Retention policy: 48 restore points
* Backup schedule: 12 times a week (twice a day on workdays, once a day on weekends)
* Monthly active full

This gives us roughly 2 months of backups with 2 full backups, im assuming old full is sealed the current full is incremental. At this moment this is 66 restore points.
Each full backup is about 850GB, each incremental ~5GB on average.

Now I would like to convert this to use SOBR with capacity tier and setup it so we have one full backup with 30 days of incrementals locally and on capacity tier, and setup GFS where we have 12 monthly and 1 yearly additional full backups on capacity tier.
Something like this if it helps, assuming this is after 2 years:

Code: Select all

Yearly | <-- 12x Monthly--> | Full | <-- 30x Incremental -->
                            <--     Performance Tier     -->
<--                     Capacity Tier                    -->
Basically I want to keep one month on site and in capacity tier, and once a month copy the current full backup to capacity tier but with GFS settings.

I thought about setting it up like this:
* Retention policy: 30 days
* Monthly active full
* GFS: 0W 12M 1Y

On SOBR:
* "Copy backups to object storage as soon as they are created": checked
* Move backup files older than: 30 days

Now my questions:

* Is the above setup possible and am I even close with those settings?
* Would the performance tier still have to keep one sealed chain like in our current setup?
* With "Copy backups to object storage as soon as they are created" checked, how does veeam handle the full backup after an incremental is merged? Does it reupload the whole full backup from scratch or is it able to also merge on object storage?
* GFS requires periodic fulls to be setup in the advanced options, im assuming that if you setup monthly active full the weekly GFS setting does nothing?
* I've read that synthetic fulls are better than active fulls but require more IO, so I chose to use active fulls as our NAS is pretty small and handles only about 50-70mbps. Would that be ok or are synthetic fulls still worth it?

Hope I didnt create too big of a wall of text.
Thank you in advance for any help.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Help with GFS and capacity tier

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
the configuration looks good to me.

Performance tier only keeps the active chain locally. The sealed chain will be moved (which is after your monthly active full)

Upload to object storage is forever incremental. Please see the FAQ: post338749.html#p338749

For a small NAS system, active full is usually the best way.

Hope I did not miss anything :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

MoshiMoshi wrote: Dec 15, 2020 9:29 pm * GFS requires periodic fulls to be setup in the advanced options, im assuming that if you setup monthly active full the weekly GFS setting does nothing?
Right:
As Veeam Backup & Replication does not create new full backup files while applying the GFS retention policy, you must configure your backup jobs in a way you do not lose any essential data due to an insufficient number of full backup files. For example, if you configure monthly GFS retention, you need at least one full backup file per month.
MoshiMoshi
Novice
Liked: never

Post by MoshiMoshi »

HannesK wrote: Dec 16, 2020 7:44 am Hello,
the configuration looks good to me.

Performance tier only keeps the active chain locally. The sealed chain will be moved (which is after your monthly active full)

Upload to object storage is forever incremental. Please see the FAQ: post338749.html#p338749

For a small NAS system, active full is usually the best way.

Hope I did not miss anything :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
Awesome, thank you for answering.
As Veeam Backup & Replication does not create new full backup files while applying the GFS retention policy, you must configure your backup jobs in a way you do not lose any essential data due to an insufficient number of full backup files. For example, if you configure monthly GFS retention, you need at least one full backup file per month.
Yes, I think I read that after posting, at first I thought that GFS and full backup settings were a separate thing, it might be useful to disable the weekly GFS setting if there is no weekly full backups, unless there is a scenario where it is still used.