Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Symjett
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Simon Johansson

Backup job with GFS retention

Post by Symjett »

Hi

I have a regular backup job that I have enabled GFS retention on and the target is a Scale-out repository. I have set the GFS retention to keep 4 weekly, 12 monthly and 10 yearly backups. The performance extent is a NAS device and the capacity extent is an Azure Blob Storage.
Right now the job is configured with the retention Forward Incremental with Synthetic Full backup enabled where every Saturday a full backup is created.
But I noticed that when a backup chain has become inactive they get sent up to our Azure Blob Storage but with incrementals aswell.

So my question is if it is possible to use GFS on a backup job and ONLY move full backups to the capacity extent?

/ Simon
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2887 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup job with GFS retention

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

If we would move only the full to capacity tier, the increments on performance tier would become useless.

We always move the full inactive chain. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Best regards,
Hannes
Symjett
Influencer

Post by Symjett »

I understand.

So if I only want to move full backups should I change the retention to Forever forward incremental and keep the GFS retention as it is?

When I tried that I got a warning in the Storage tab when I edit the job that says "Enable periodic fulls, or schedule a script to create them".

Is it still possible to use a backup job with retention Forever Forward Incremental AND use GFS?

/ Simon
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
your setup is good as it is. It's exactly as we think it should be used. Please keep the configuration as it is :-)

Forever forward incremental does not work with GFS because it is "forever incremental": there are incremental backups only. That's why there is the warning.

Best regards,
Hannes
Symjett
Influencer

Post by Symjett »

Hi Hannes

Okay good, then I'll keep it as it is.

And if I would enable rollbacks on the job the GFS retention policy would not work then either right, as only one full backup is created?

/ Simon
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the Veeam console should give you a clear "GFS retention is not compatible with reverse incremental backup" message ;-)

Best regards,
Hannes
Symjett
Influencer

Post by Symjett »

Hi

Yup, I just noticed that after I sent the message..

Thanks for the help, now I know how we'll configure our backup jobs with Scale out repositories :)

/ Simon