Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Feature Request: Veeam Agent merges before backup is free disk space too small

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

I don't know if this is the right place to request this, but I would like to see Veeam Agent look at the removable USB backup drive and work out if there is enough free space on the disk to complete the backup (Change Block Tracking?), and if not to do a merge before it does the backup.

Stuff like this shouldn't be happening:

18/12/2020 2:51:56 a.m. :: Full backup file merge failed Error: Agent: Failed to process method {Transform.Patch}: There is not enough space on the disk.

It would also mean you could make the setting for the number of 'days' to back up optional, as it would work out how much it can use anyway.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Feature Request: Veeam Agent merges before backup is free disk space too small

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, the forum is the right place to ask for new features.

About the request... people expect that a backup software guarantees a certain amount of days / restore points for restore. Making the retention like "do backups as long as you have free space" would end up with unpredictable retentions. While "I don't care how many backups I have" is true in some corner cases, it would make many people very sad :-)

I see several options for your situation
- switch to incremental forever. that saves the disk space for synthetic full
- get a larger backup device
- reduce the number of restore points

Best regards,
Hannes