Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Dynalean
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dynalean

Wrong machine is being backed up after vsphere upgrade

Post by Dynalean »

Hi,

We are using Veeam B&R v 5.0.2.230 (64Bit) with the patch installed to add Vsphere 5 support. I already tested if i was able to back up a virtual machine version 8, running on esxi 5 host through vcenter server 5.0.0, which was successfull.

We are experiencing problems with our existing jobs. If I start the job it will try to backup servers, I did not specify in my job.
Could it be that the vm id's are mixed up after the vcenter server upgrade to version 5?

Thanks in advance
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Wrong machine is being backed up after vsphere upgrade

Post by Gostev »

Hi, I would not expect this to happen in case of in-place vCenter upgrade, but anything is possible. To confirm that, you can (with the help of our support) get memorized VM IDs from our job configuration, and the lookup this VM ID in vCenter Server to see what VM it resolves to (this can be easily done by pointing any browser to vCenter Server web service). Thanks.
Dynalean
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dynalean

Post by Dynalean »

I made a mistake in saying that we upgraded our vcenter server. But it wasn't an in place upgrade, we installed a new vcenter server and imported the hosts to the new machine. So by using a new virtual center server the id's, ofcourse, will be different. So I was able to solve the problem, by going in the job properties and removing / re-adding the servers.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that is expected, you need to re-add VMs to the backup/replication jobs if you move VM to another vCenter Server.