Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
Emig
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Emilio González González

NAS backup to the cloud ...

Post by Emig »

I would like to move to the cloud (Azure blob in my case but should be the same for S3) a copy of my NAS backup (or alternatively have the option to backup directly to the cloud).

I have been playing around and I have discovered no way to do it. The archive option is not ok for me as I want a full copy of all the files (not all versions).
Does someone know any "workaround" to move to the cloud my NAS backup?

Another solution would be to have the cloud repository visible as "Secondary Target" but at least mine is not present (I think S3 or Amazon blob repositories are not allowed as a secondary target. any way to force this?

I have also thought of attaching a new drive to a Windows VM presenting all the NAS and backup the complete VM but the networked drive letter does not appear in the drives to backup. Any way to force it to appear?

it is funny as I can backup to the cloud (thanks to SOBR) a VM with a 5TB disk attached that I'm using as a file server but not my NAS just used for the same thing.

If no way, it would be great if Veeam adds this feature to its TODO list.

Regards

Emilio
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: NAS backup to the cloud ...

Post by Gostev »

Yes, already on the TODO list. Thanks Emilio!
mdiver
Veeam Legend
Liked: 33 times

Post by mdiver »

+1 here. I've seen this request several times in consulting projects already.
Same for NAS->Tape btw.

Thanks,
Mike
Emig
Influencer

Post by Emig »

After realising this feature is not available at this moment, I told you the workaround I have found.

I'm aware it is not clean and that It is not good for everyone, for my, it does the job.

The idea is to create a new backup repository that I attach to one existing VM (or you can create a new one just for this). In my case I have used one of the veeam proxy servers ant attached a 5 TB virtual disk.

I have created a backup task from the NAS to this local repository. As a result I have a local backup.
I have created another backup task scheduled just after the previous one. This task backups the whole VM (with the attached disk that now has the NAS backup) to my SOBR.
Once the backup is created in the SOBR performance tier, it goes automatically to the cloud (capacity tier) as this is the normal behaviour of the system for vm backups.

*The good thing is that, finally I have my NAS information "safe" in the Azure.
*Several bad things, but I can live with them as my main target was to secure my NAS information in the cloud:

a. More local space needed because I have the local backup in two places: in the repository attached to the VM plus in the performance tier of the SOBR.
b. More time spent (two backup instead of one)
c. In case of a recovery there is no granularity. I need to recover the full VM (disk) backup from the cloud (it is possible to recover individual backup files, but due to the special veeam structure of veeam NAS backup it is not human understandable to recover individual end user files)

Our scenario going to the cloud, is just for big emergencies, nor for day-to-day recovery (this is done from local repositories): if have a disaster, for sure we will need the full NAS recovery. An in any case, once the backup is downloaded I can recover individual files without any problem.
Emig
Influencer

Post by Emig »

I have opened another post in the forum of vmware because the first backup (the NAS backup) is 1.7 TB but the backup of this 1.7TB disk is 2.7TB (the backup of the VMware VM disk added 1TB to the original data). Does anyone imagine what is wrong?
Does veeam backup empty space too?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Look, you have received and acknowledged the answer to this question in that other topic literally minutes before asking the same again, now here. Why would you do this - are you expecting to get a different answer here? Because you won't :D
Emig
Influencer

Post by Emig »

Gostev, you are right. I was skeptical about veeam not being able to avoid storing deleted or empty space. I'm sorry. The "exclude deleted file blocks" option appeared as "valid" even if my repository was a ReFS one. After your comments and going deeper in the documentation it is clear that only is valid for NTFS. Finally, I have my NAS in the cloud with the right size. I wait for a future version fully supporting NAS to S3 to remove my shoddiness
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No worries! We consider this capability to be a high priority as well.
william.scholes
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: William Scholes

Post by william.scholes »

We have just setup NAS backup for the first time, assuming it would support immediate upload to S3 storage in the same way the SOBR does however we found it does not, which has lead me here...

Is there any ETA on this feature being available? Getting the full NAS/File Share backup sent to Object storage immediately and then periodically, similarly to how the SOBR works with the Capacity tier with its "Copy immediately" function?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello William,

This functionality is planned for upcoming versions. Thank you for the feedback!
william.scholes
Service Provider

Hi Dima

Is there any concrete ETA on this feature? I'm just wondering if we should put in a temporary solution or not, as that will depend on this feature's ETA.

Thanks for the quick response!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

I suggest you put in a temporary solution as it's definitely not in the next few months.
william.scholes
Service Provider

Thanks Gostev, we did put a temporary solution in place
pankajmore
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Pankaj More

Post by pankajmore »

Hi William,

Could you please share the temporary solution? We have the same requirement and wanted to know how we could achieve NAS backups to Cloud.