Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ihussain
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: I Hussain

New backup chain after server restore

Post by ihussain »

Hi

I had to restore a data server following its failure. This server was backed up in the production site as a reverse incremental job with backup copy sent to a NAS offsite. Following the successful restore (thanks Veeam!! :D ) the next backup run (same backup job) has created new backup chain (so new vbk and vrb files; new restore points) without continuing on from the previous backup chains.

Any ideas why this has happened and will it now result in new backup chain for the backup copies too?

Please help.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: New backup chain after server restore

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The new backup chain is created because the restored VM obtains a new MoRefID on vSphere inventory, therefore this VM is seen by Veeam as completely new object as we track virtual machines in jobs by MoRefID. Backup copy job will also trigger a full in order to transfer an actual state of VM to the secondary repository.

Thanks!
ihussain
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: I Hussain

Post by ihussain »

Thanks for the reply.

So in that case what happens to the old retention points, especially on the GFS archive ones on the backup copy repo. Do these need to be deleted manually or does VBR take care of this automatically?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Existing backups will be subject to deleted VMs retention, however, GFS restore points are not affected by this setting, GFS retention will work normally for them. Also, just FYI, in case of reversed incremental mode and if per-VM backup chains setting is disabled, the data for the restored VM will be deduped with the original VM data so will not occupy double space on the repository.