Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
jeff.richeson
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

NAS license exceeded

Post by jeff.richeson »

I'm a bit confused on how the NAS license capacity is calculated. Is it based on actual data backed up or total disk space available? I just got started with the NAS backup. My first time through, the job failed with license exceeded. I have a license for 5 TB and a single NAS with 4TB of disk space. The NAS is running FreeNAS and I want to backup two of the datasets that are exported via NFS. The total used space is around 2.5TB. I feel like adding the same NAS in twice with different paths caused some confusion on the calculations. In any case, the amount of data is under the license capacity.

Case ID: 04558685
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6693 times

Re: NAS license exceeded

Post by Gostev »

It is based on the actual size of data being backed up. Basically, the total size of data added as the source to all file backup jobs. As such, it does not matter how you add NAS to Veeam, the only thing that matters is the total size of data all your file backups jobs are protecting.
jeff.richeson
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by jeff.richeson »

Then I am puzzled. If the total size of my NAS is under the license limit, how can I possibly receive a license exceeded error?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6693 times

Post by Gostev »

I think the only possible explanation here is that you're backing up the same source data multiple times with different jobs. But our support engineers will tell what is it for sure.