Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Novox
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Is a Single-Extent SOBR ok?

Post by Novox »

I converted a backup repository (NFS share) TO a Scale-Out Backup Repository (SOBR) by including an Azure Storage capacity tier. My existing backup jobs were retargeted to the new SOBR storage.

Today, I realized that now is a very bad time for the cloud capacity tier to try to upload everything to Azure. I was therefore trying to switch back FROM SOBR to the individual NFS share. I cannot remove the SOBR storage because I'd first have to retarget my backup job to a repository unrelated to the SOBR. When I try, it indicates I need to move all my backups first.

I can however, remove the capacity tier from SOBR and the job remains unaffected (still targeting the SOBR, which now only has one extent, the NFS share). Additionally, I may try cloud storage again in the future.

My question is, can I leave my backup jobs using this single-extend SOBR? Are there any downsides to that? I imagine the answer is no, that I should be fine, and when I'm ready I can add a capacity tier or more extents later; BUT I want to confirm that with a member of the Veeam Team!

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Is a Single-Extent SOBR ok?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can use SOBR with a single extent, but please be aware of these overall SOBR limitations: Limitations for Scale-Out Backup Repositories
Novox
Expert

Post by Novox »

Thank you!
Novox
Expert

Post by Novox »

Just curious, but is there a procedure to convert back from the single-extent SOBR to the non-SOBR version of the extent (NFS Share)? Would I just make a new NFS share backup repository, pointing to the exact same location as my SOBR extent, retarget the back job, (assume I won't be asked to move backups because it is literally the same backing storage) and then delete the SOBR?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Please follow steps from this User's Guide page and then rescan your repository and remap your jobs. Hope it helps!